My Router does not accept a gateway ip that has a subnet address different from the laptop ip address

Hi Guys,

My ptoblem is very much described in the subject line. I have a Compusa 54MBPS 802.11 b/g Wireless Broadband router.

My ISP has provided me with an IP Address a.b.c.d and the default gateway is a.b.x.y

Now since the gateway is on a different subnet that the ip address provided, Windows shows me a warning but accepts the settings and my interent works perfectly when connected directly to the cable modem.

However, when I try connecting using the wireless router, it does not accept the ip addresses and throws an error that the gateway is on a different subnet than the ip address and hence is invalid.

I tried various combinations, but nothing seems to work.

Can someone help me in this regard? Would be really grateful if someone can.

Regards, Anand.

Reply to
keethyanandpr
Loading thread data ...

On 13 Mar 2007 08:26:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

What makes you think it's a different subnet? What netmask are you using? Make it 255.255.0.0, and both those addresses will be on the same subnet.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks a lot John!. The router did accept the settings when I changed the mask to 255.255.0.0

However I am still not able to connect to the internet. I tried to ping the gateway ip, but it did not succeed. Here are the details of my network:

Configuration provided by the ISP: IP - 125.99.103.150 Subnet Mask - 255.255.252.0 Gateway - 125.99.96.1

When I connect the modem directly to my laptop and fill in these settings into the Windows LAN Connection Properties, it throws me a warning that the gateway is on a different subnet. However it accepts it and my internet works fine.

Now I connect the modem to the wireless router and try configuring the same into the Static IP details of the router, it does not accept the gateway ip at all. However it got solved with your suggestion to change the subnet mask. But I am still not able to connect to the internet. As mentioned before, I tried to ping the gateway, but the request timed out.

I am completely lost one his one. If Windows can accept and work fine, whats the problem with the router.

Do let me know if there's any way you can help me, I would be extremely thankful to you.

Thanks again.

Regards, Anand.

Reply to
keethyanandpr

On 14 Mar 2007 09:16:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

If that's what your ISP actually gave you, complain to the support department! Because given those IP addresses, the Subnet Mask should be at least 255.255.248.0 (For your reference, there's a handy calculator at

formatting link

You need to be sure:

1. You're entering the settings properly in the router, using a correct subnet mask.
  2. Your laptop is getting the correct settings from the router, including the router LAN port as the gateway address.

With your laptop connected to your router, open a command window and run "IPCONFIG /ALL". Copy the output, and post the _exact_ result here.

The problem is with your ISP. The router is just less forgiving than Windows.

Reply to
John Navas

You should also try connecting the laptop to the router with cable, ie removing wireless from the picture, to check its not an issue with that part.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:32:26 +0000, Mark McIntyre wrote in :

Please be more careful with snipping and attribution -- I wasn't responsible for that content.

Reply to
John Navas

Hey John,

I am always able to connect to the router interface. But then never to the internet. I am pasting the ipconfig logs below:

When connected directly to the modem via Ethernet Cable:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000] Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

D:\\Windows\\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Keethy Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controlle r Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-22-AC-01-59 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d43c:d32d:

35e2:4ca2%8(Preferred) IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 125.99.103.150(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 125.99.96.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 202.88.130.15 202.88.130.67 202.88.130.5 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo- Interface Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Now when I connect to via the wireless router this is the output I get:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000] Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

D:\\Windows\\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Keethy Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Conn ection Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-6F-95-6D-80 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a4df:5554:e46b:

8360%9(Preferred) IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.100(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 16 March 2007 04:47:40:PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 08 March 2037 04:47:40:PM Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1 DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 151000687 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 202.88.130.15 202.88.130.67 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{E41B4190-E166-49C7-9D56- DA96D3912

136} Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe: 192.168.2.100%11(Preferred) Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 202.88.130.15 202.88.130.67 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo- Interface Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

My router settings are also the same as you had suggested. I have kept the subnet mask as 255.255.248.0 and it connects to the rotuer.

I feel there's something wrong with my router configuration. Do you see any problems here? Do let me know.

Thanks for all your time. :)

Regards, Anand.

Reply to
keethyanandpr

I am able to connect to the router intrface, so I don't think thats the problem. Howver I have misplaced the LAN cable for the router, so it will be sometime before I can connect it directly to the Router :).

Do you see any other issue here ?

Reply to
keethyanandpr

On 16 Mar 2007 05:02:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Can you use the router when connected by Ethernet cable to the router (as Mark suggested)? If so, please post the IPCONFIG for that as well.

Does the router show a working connection to the Internet on its status screen?

Reply to
John Navas

On 16 Mar 2007 05:04:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Mark is right -- it could nonetheless provide insight on your wireless problem.

Beg, borrow, or buy a cable.

Hard to say.

Reply to
John Navas

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1174046549.785206.312220 @o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

These two readouts are obviously going to be different. One is NAT'd behind a rtr and the other is directly to the ISP's modem. These look completely valid to me....almost anyway. The only issue I see is it may be better, when ging thru the rtr, to have the PC DNS set to the rtr IP...192.168.2.1

(Of course, I have seen rtr's that don't properly forward DNS.)

I take it you had the PC connected directly to the modem, and are now just adding a rtr to do wireless over ?

Stupid question.......have you re-booted the modem itself when you switch the attached device ? If a PC is connected to the modem, and you put a rtr between the modem and PC, the modem must be power cycled with the new device connected to it before it will pass internet traffic.

The procedure is....

1) Power everything down....modem, rtr, PC. 2) Turn on the modem. 3) AFTER the modem is sync'd up completely at the head end, then turn on the rtr. 4) After that has fully booted, now turn on the PC.

If you do not power cycle the modem, it is still expecting the old device to be connected to it with a certain MAC address.

Reply to
DanS

Hey Dan,

It worked !!! Thanks a lot ! I followed the exact procedure and it found the internet.

But now I am facing another problem. :((. The access is very slow. Initially I thought it was the ISP problem, because I was not getting good speed when connected directly to the modem as well. However later the speed was better, but if I used my router, it was very slow. I tried pinging a few sites from command prompt and found significant packet loss. I am attaching the results below.

D:\\Users\\Anand>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [72.14.207.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 72.14.207.99: bytes=32 time=320ms TTL=236 Request timed out. Reply from 72.14.207.99: bytes=32 time=320ms TTL=236 Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 72.14.207.99: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 320ms, Maximum = 320ms, Average = 320ms

D:\\Users\\Anand>ping yahoo.com

Pinging yahoo.com [216.109.112.135] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out. Reply from 216.109.112.135: bytes=32 time=340ms TTL=46 Request timed out. Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 216.109.112.135: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 1, Lost = 3 (75% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 340ms, Maximum = 340ms, Average = 340ms

D:\\Users\\Anand>ping msn.com

Pinging msn.com [207.68.172.246] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 207.68.172.246: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

D:\\Users\\Anand>ping amazon.com

Pinging amazon.com [72.21.210.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 72.21.210.11: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

What do you think could be the problem this time ? Thanks for all your time !!

Regards, Anand.

Reply to
keethyanandpr

On 17 Mar 2007 07:18:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Not only very high packet loss, but also very high latency. Run a traceroute (tracert in Windowspeak) to see where these problems are occurring; e.g., "tracert -d google.com".

Reply to
John Navas

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l75g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

I wasn't sure if you had done that or not so I just threw out the suggestion...you're welcome. I'm not sure if the necessary modem reboot is listed in the (any) rtr's manual, then again....who reads the manual, unless you're trying to find out how to 'reset to factory defaults' !! I know I got bit with that one when I added my first rtr years ago.

Time to find that CAT5 cable to connect by wire to the rtr and retest again to isolate where the problem may be. I assumed the numbers you posted were for the wireless connection.

You can do ping tests again, but do tracert's also. For the ping tests with 2 & 3 below, do you have another wired IP device on the rtr ? I would test local destinations as well as internet destinations. If it an interference issue on wireless, that should be affected for local pings as well as pinging an internet host (this will help separate any possible internet issues from possible local issues).

(As a note, if you add the /t switch to the ping command, it will ping continuously until you stop it with a CTRL-C. Not particularly helpful, but you can see if the results change over 30 seconds or a minute, compared to a 5 second 4 ping test.)

Test-

1) PC to Modem directly 2) PC on wire to rtr 3) PC wireless to rtr

If 1 & 2 are OK, it's a wireless issue. If 1 is OK and 2 & 3 are bad, a rtr issue.

If all 3 are bad....drop back 10 and punt !!!!!!! But seriously, test 1 should NEVER be bad. If it is, it's either ISP or some bizzare networking issue with the PC.

Reply to
DanS

Hey Dan,

Guess what !! My roter works absolutely fine now. :)

All I did was get rid of Windows VISTA. I was all the while trying to configure this thing on VISTA. It shouldn't have been a problem, but I dunno why.

I am back to good old Windows XP now. Tried all the tests you had suggested. All worked fine and the tracert results were better than before. In fact I am am sitting at least 40 feet from the router and typing this message. and downloading my mails without any issues.

Anyways I want to thank all you guys (John, Mark and of course Dan) for the help and advice. Really appreciate the time and effort you put in to answer the queries.

Thanks again.

Regards, Anand.

DanS wrote:

Reply to
keethyanandpr

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

Did you mention Vista before ?

If you would have, in addition to the rebooting procedure, I would have also mentioned that Vista comes by default with IPv6 enabled, and from what I have read in several of the Vista groups, turning off the IPv6 service (or however it is implemented) solved many networking issues.

And as always...glad I could help.

Cheers !!

DanS

Reply to
DanS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.