MSI AP54G fault

I've just got the above out of the drawer, where it has been for some time.

When I plugged in the AC adapter the power LED did not illuminate. I checked the PSU with a multimeter and can see that it seems to be working. At least, some power is coming out of the end !

I plugged it into the AP54G again, heard a crack, which I suspect is a component exploding, and then saw smoke coming out of the unit. Not ideal !

Has anyone else had this issue ?

The PSU is branded 'DVE' and is rated at 12v 500mA, as is the WAP. The 'tip' is positive. I have been unable to locate the polarity requirement but I'm 99.99% sure that this is the PSU that came with the WAP.

Please would someone confirm that I _am_ using the correct PSU ?

Thanks

Reply to
Kev
Loading thread data ...

If you heard a crack and saw smoke it's not going to matter anymore. Go buy a new one, it's toast.

alien

Reply to
alien

Yes, it's true. It isn't going to be repaired. But, it is under warranty and I have the receipt here. I just don't want them saying that it's the wrong PSU. As I mentioned, it's unlikely to be the case but as I usually wear three belts and two sets of braces ....................

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Kev

"Kev" hath wroth:

I have no way to verify the wall wart specs. If Microstar doesn't have the answer, you can search for the FCCID on FCC ID web site. It usually has a photo of the wall wart with the ratings included.

However, if the warranty or repair isn't available, I've had good luck repairing devices that have had the wrong wall wart plugged into it. Usually, there's a big reverse polarity protection diode near the power connector. It tends to short out when power is mis-applied and sacrifices itself to save the rest of the electronics. Just look for the miniature smoking volcano near the power connector. Replace with a similar diode and there's a good chance it will work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.