mimo XR 802.115 cardbus adapter vs. non-mimo XR adapter

I recently stayed at a hotel in Santa Barbara that had wi-fi service in their rooms. my laptop computer WAS able to access the internet, but painfully slow. The cardbus adapter that I am using is the "airlink

101 802.11g wireless cardbus adapter".

I see advertised now the "airlink MIMO XR 802.11G caardbus adapter". Would this new adapter be able to receive signals faster & stronger? What is the difference between the two? Would the newer model be able to receive signals faster and stronger?

best, Aaron

Reply to
aaronep
Loading thread data ...

On 1 Aug 2006 19:44:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net wrote in :

MIMO is needed at both ends to have any benefit. Consider an external antenna instead.

Reply to
John Navas

dear John: thank's for your quick repllyl! As for using an external antenna, is it possible to hook up an external antenna to the wireless cardbus adapter? Or, what other wi-fil connector should I I use for a notebook computer? best, Aaron

**************************************************************************************

John Navas wrote:

Reply to
aaronep

It's possible to hook up an external antenna _if_ the card has an antenna jack. Some do; most don't. Another option is to use a USB adapter with a built-in high-gain antenna, like the one made by Hawking.

On 2 Aug 2006 08:04:42 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.