Looking for a clever idea to change my IP address

My WISP provides a (shared) static IP address only for me. Period. Even if I were to disconnect for weeks, I'd come up with (they just told me) the same IP address (they NAT me with my neighbors, they say).

The problem is that when I posted today an ad to sell a motorcycle to Craigslist, I was immediately ghosted! Looking up the problem, I find that Craigslists often ghosts IP addresses, en masse, when violations are found for that particular IP address.

So, I presume one of the fifty to one hundred people on my side of the WISP NAT are the problem - but that doesn't help me one bit to get a single ad listed on Craigslist.

Note: Ghosting is when they don't like your IP address, they do everything that makes it 'appear' your ad went through - but nothing shows up on the Internet. There is a lot of information about ghosting - but it all boils down to changing your IP address.

Apparently you can't get around this by using public ISPs (such as Starbucks & local schools & libraries) because Craigslist has these all in the filter (which is apparently run by a separate company).

I found out you can't get around Craigslist IP ghosting by using TORs either, because most (if not all) end up being outside your local area which also causes the Craigslist filters to ghost you outright (especially if they're outside the country).

So, I guess I can only post from a friend's account - but - that's not an elegant solution at all (neither is not posting). Of course, I could change ISPs, but, that's a lot of effort for a single Craigslist ad!

In a long shot, I ask of you, the ISP wireless experts, if there is any easy way that I may have overlooked which will temporarily change my IP address to one that is LOCAL and NON-PUBLIC?

Reply to
arkland
Loading thread data ...

Have you tried using a proxy outside your immediate area ?

Reply to
atec77

don't forget that the IP address presented to the Internet is the IP address of the WISP connection to the world, unless you are getting a static IP address within their range and not just an internal static IP address behind their own NAT router.

what's the first two parts of YOUR own static IP ? xxx.xxx ?

Reply to
ps56k

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do. You can attempt to find a local proxy, but you'll probably have better luck finding a more competently run ISP.

Unless your ISP provides public IPs, proxies are your only option. Maybe you could find a friend to run a proxy, or a small local hosting provider and install a proxy there?

Reply to
DevilsPGD

It actually has to be inside the local area for Craigslist not to start the ghosting algorithm.

I had not looked at proxies. I don't know much about them.

I'll do some research to see if one is local ... and report back to the team!

Reply to
arkland

It's worth noting that this isn't actually correct. You can post out of your area without triggering a problem if your IP isn't already known to be problematic.

Now that I no longer live in a large city (100,000 instead of million+) I regularly post in a couple different cities shortly before traveling when I have expensive portable items to sell. I've posted in Calgary, Phoenix and Dallas all from my small city in Canada when I intend on traveling to the aforementioned city and have something to sell.

I can assume my posts weren't ghosted since I do receive responses and successfully meet and sell items.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Now that's interesting.

So, what I need is a non-problematic IP address, whether or not it's local.

I haven't yet been able to find a good proxy that isn't already problematic though. However, so far, I only tried free ones.

If someone knows of a good non-problematic proxy, would they kindly post?

Reply to
arkland

That, I can't speak to. Nearly any shared IP will have it's share of abuse.

Depending on your budget and technical skills, you might have better luck rolling your own using a small VPS (typically starting around $10-$20/mo)

Reply to
DevilsPGD

I had to look up VPS:

-

formatting link
I've read that article. Am I correct in assuming the WISP must agree to me setting up a VPS on their network?

Reply to
arkland

It's been my experience that when my email IP gets on the banned list, the hosting company calls the right people and gets me off the fecal matter list.

I would call your IP, tell them the problem, and have them call Craigslist. Your IP in theory doesn't like it's customers to be dissed. Craigslist in theory wants legit customers. Seems win win to me.

I regularly see out of towners post on Craigs. Really annoying.

Reply to
miso

Another option is to go get a Cricket 3G. Pay the minimum and make your posts. (Of course you would need to cost recover from the item sold.)

Reply to
Rich Johnson

Actually that wouldn't help, anything you set up on your network would share the same IP. Rather, you'd have to buy VPS service somewhere else, and get an IP assigned by that provider.

Basically you're renting a small virtual computer somewhere else, with all the associated hassles and inconveniences. This is an approach that might work for the technically inclined, but it's not a lightweight suggestion and would be a ton of work and expense just to post to Craigslist. However, if you wanted your own IP and privacy from your ISP in general without relying on a proxy operator (who may well have the same options) then it's a potentially better solution.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Craigslist doesn't want abusers. One single abuser can chase dozens of legitimate users away, so they'll sacrifice one (or more) legitimate users away if it keeps an abuser away.

Contacting Craigslist won't help either, it's likely they won't directly answer, but if you post on their forums, their answer will probably be to deal with the abuse coming from the IP and it will be unblocked automatically once the abuse ceases.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

I called them today. They said they'll see what they can do.

In addition, they offered to change me manually in the 'routing tables'.

I presume that means they assign me a different IP address. I'll let you know how that works out.

Reply to
arkland

I had not heard of "Cricket 3G" prior; so, looking it up:

formatting link
I see that, for $45/month, it seems to be a broadband supplier via the Sprint cellular network. It seems to be different from AT&T, Verizon, & T- Mobile 3G coverage by virtue of a month-to-month plan which is simpler to set up (sans contract).

Of course, I'd need their USB wireless 3G CDMA modem.

formatting link

Reply to
arkland

Try the 30 day free trial from Witopia. You don't need your ISP's permission for that.

formatting link

Reply to
Edward Theodore Gein

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.