Change MAC address

I have a question geared toward anyone familar with networking. I needto change my IP address and/or change my MAC address. Does anyone know that this is possible? If this is possible, please tell me how you are able to do it. Can I use some shareware software or must I purchase a specialized network card for this task. I read a website that sells hardware on

formatting link
and I also found software to use like AMAC or Macshift. I would prefer to not spend any money. Does anyone have any experience at all with these solutions? Thanks!! Please email me.

Reply to
GreaserX
Loading thread data ...

GreaserX wrote in part:

It is, but highly dependant on exact configuration. Some ethercards can have MACs reprogrammed, others cannot. But beware

-- some ISPs use MAC as part of their authentication sequence.

IPs are a separate subject. They are given to you by your ISP, usually via DHCP but occasionally static or BOOTP. Some ISPs give you a different IP every time you login, others will try to keep the same one for months. There is relatively little you can do.

It's impolite to ask for email from a public forum. And how can you expect replies to an incomplete address?

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Some ISPs determine whether the same system is DHCP'ing by examining the MAC address, and thus will assign a different DHCP'd address if the user's MAC address changes. That's about the only reason to change one's MAC address, since nothing past the first ISP hop sees the MAC in the IP packets. (Though I've read somewhere that there are techniques for java or javascript [not sure which] to retrieve the MAC. I do not have the experience to confirm or deny this.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

As far as I know, all allow software programmability of the MAC address at startup. They don't all supply the software to do it.

The easiest way is to buy a new NIC. They are cheap enough now.

IP addresses are technically not part of the ethernet newsgroup.

To change IP address you need to talk to the administrator of the network you are on. In a school or work environment that will often be a local (internal) network. For home that will be your ISP.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.