HD video over wireless...

Anyone doing an HD stuff over-the-air?

I've been kicking around the idea of setting up some sort of a media front end in the living room for some time. Either putting something together myself or one of those Media Center PC's. The ready-made Media Center PC's are starting to look very attractive though, so leaning more towards them. Plus, I have an XBox360. (The X360 can work as an "extension" to Microsoft Media PC's.)

I have a closet stuffed with a bunch of fileservers, with about 1.2 TB of total HDD. They are all headless, out of sight and mind, and do nothing except spit out files on demand. (They also crunch Boinc/SETI.) I use them for PC backups, ISO's, MP3's, SD video, ect. Pretty much the standard stuff. Everything works great over-the-air.

HD video? Haven't tried this yet. 1080i (compressed) requires, what, 25 Mbs for real-time streaming? I have a spare Tri-Mode WAP that I could use as client hardware. I tried the WAP out, from the intended location, using a laptop and if 1080i is 25 Mbs, I "think" the pipe is going to be large and stable enough. (802.11a was giving me a slight advantage over 802.11g, so I'll be using 802.11a.)

If possible, I'd like to use the Media Center's HDD as "working room" and the closet fileservers as more "permanent" storage space.

Anyone doing anything like this? Is it possible to stream real-time, or am I just delusional? If not, how close to real-time might be possible? How much buffering? As long as you don't have to download entire files first (they are going to be enormous), I'd be happy.

Thanks!

Reply to
Eric
Loading thread data ...

My solution is a PC with tons of disk space, 3 DVB-T tuners and the very free media software from

formatting link
The solution there is to play out to Hauppauge Media Extenders and they work just fine but mine are wired.

You're asking a lot to stream HD content wireless, you're going to need a maxium rate data connection and even then a following wind. Wireless is great for mobility and unless your TV keeps moving around the house, i'd recommend wires.

On the other hand, if you've got all the bits already, try it, it might work for you.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Just scanned over your references and, wow, that is extremely cool. Downloaded GBPVR and will play with it later. Basically, just add the tuners and capture hardware on your PC at your convienence? Much more flexible than the ready-made boxes..

Hauppauge MediaMVP -- only needed to look at for a few seconds before deciding that I want one! One of the first things that came to mind was that it is small enough to fit into a laptop bag. Use the laptop's wireless to stream stuff from home, away from home. Pretty cool... Hmm. I have a WAP, small enough to also travel with, that can function as a client and also has a built-in DHCP server. I wonder if, away from home, the MediaMVP could also be plugged into this WAP and you could point it towards your home PC across the internet.

Yeah, after looking at the stuff you pointed out, along with some other things, I think I'm going to not worry about "HD" for now. Chasing "HD" network integration would be very $$$ and have to wonder if it would be really worth it for as little content there is right now. Plus, I'm reading that even the "HD stuff" is having all sorts of problems meshing into computer networks. Give it a few years for it all to come together, and have more content.

LOL, yeah, the more "wireless" stuff you have the more "wires" you seem to accumulate. I'll see how well the MediaMVP works over the air, but if need be will just run CAT5 for it. Imagine down the road, wireless probably wouldn't work well for HD, so will probably be running a Giga-ethernet for it anyway...

Thanks for the pointed direction! Going to read a bit more on the MediaMVP, along with similiar products, and probably will have something like that by next week! A measly $100 is definetly do-able.

Cheers!

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

Yep, up to 8 tuners.

No need, you either use Orb

formatting link
- free) or the just about finished webstreamer add on to gbpvr.

The MVP runs a variation of VNC and displays the same interface as the normal gbpvr and whatever skin you want. It's the most WIFE 1.0 friendly product I have ever bought. I now have 3 :)

Come over to the gbpvr forums for help.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Works with Orb too? Very cool! I've used Orb in the past with PDA's.

LOL, three MVP's or three wives? :^)

Yep, already been 'lurking' there. I found a local retailer that has a couple in stock. Going to pick one up tonight or tomorrow after work.

Thanks!

Reply to
Eric

Hi,

Thanks for pointing out that MVP. I just picked one up earlier today and having fun with it. Definetly see picking up at least one more down the road for another TV.

Reply to
none

Use it with gbpvr, it rocks then. The Hauppauge interface is dire by comparison.

BTW, because this is a wireless thread, are you using the wireless MVP? Working ok?

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.