Linksys befw11s4

Hi can someone help I am trying to access the linksys etherfast wireless access point + cable/dsl router with 4-port switch f(model no befw11s4) on my pc using wep encrytion. I can access with no problems if I disable wep encryption on the router set-up but can't when i set a passphrase, please help me I have windows xp and need an idiots guide how to connect, sadly the manual doesn't help and is so old that it is meant for windows 95 and 98.. anyone that can help, i would really appreciate it.. cheers archana

Reply to
archanapatelwhite
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com hath wroth:

Use the Hex encryption key, not the ASCII key. The problem is that various manufactories have different ideas of how to convert from ASCII to Hex. There's no standard for the conversion and Windoze XP Wireless Zero config only support one of the 3 or 4 methods. However, if you use the Hex key, it will always work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reply to
archanapatelwhite

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com hath wroth:

Two places.

1. In the BEFW11S4 wireless security page:

This assumes that you have a BEFW11S4 v4 hardware and the latest firmware. Look on the serial number tag for the hardware version. V2 hardware is quite different.

1. In your Windoze XP Wireless Zero Config "profile". In the system tray (lower right of screen), find the wireless icon. Right click and select "view available networks". Dive into the settings and find your own wireless router SSID. Select properties and setup the connection to use WEP or whatever.

Please note that the BEFW11S4 v4 supports WPA encryption, which doesn't have the ASCII to Hex conversion problem, and is far more secure. You should be using WPA, not WEP.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.