link up two 802.11g router?

Hi All Is it possible to link up two 802.11g router? thanks from Peter ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com)

Reply to
cmk128
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com hath wroth:

Yes, but only certain routers. Some routers have a point to point bridge mode which will work. Some routers have a client mode which can also be used. Some routers have a WDS (wirless distribution service) which will also function.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Is it possible to split the phone line into 2 lines and run to 2 routers ?

Reply to
XP Novice In New Orleans

"XP Novice In New Orleans" hath wroth:

No. You do NOT plug a router into a phone line. You plug a DSL modem into a phone line.

There are several types of DSL modems. Most modems will handle multiple IP addresses from your ISP. Some ISP's (i.e. PBI/SBC/at&t) use a "sticky IP" scheme for multiple static IP's which require a specialized DSL modem.

One you have arranged with the DSL ISP for more than one IP address, you can plug in one DSL modem, followed by an ethernet switch, followed by as many ethernet routers as you have IP addresses. For example, this is roughly my office arrangement where we have 5 IP addresses:

There are some DSL ISP's that are so sloppy, that they allow additional IP's without asking (or paying). Just plug in a 2nd ethernet router as in the above arrangement, and a 2nd IP will magically be issued to the 2nd router. Just don't get caught.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I got a nice email from my ISP saying my account is only allowed one(1) login with one(1) IP not several, so i only used 2 after that.

J.

Reply to
Forster Tuncurry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.