Laptop Does not Switch AP when Roaming

I have two Linksys routers in my house. There is a WRT54GS in my office upstairs and a BEFW11S4 downstairs in the living room. They are connected to each other via the LAN ports (bridged). The SSIDs and WEP keys are the same but one is set to channel 1 and the other to channel 7. I enabled DHCP on the upstairs router.

When I roam around the house I can see the signal strength drop to one bar but XP does not switch to the other router unless I disable the connection or disconnect from the network. Then after I enable or re-connect, I'll get all five bars if I'm near the alternate router.

Can XP be configured to transparently switch to the stronger signal? I notice that channel 1 is specified in the advanced tab of the wireless adapter configuration. Is this the problem? If not, is there another network design and/or configuration that will do what I want?

Reply to
Bob Simon
Loading thread data ...

Wi-Fi is not as good as it should. A Wi-Fi client (in this case, your XP) does not look for another AP unless the actual signal guest too week to communicate. As you mentioned, when you go upstairs, the XP still can get a signal from downstairs=B4 AP, so it does not disconnect.

That is the Wi-Fi were built, there is little (as far as I know) that can be done. There is a technology called wireless switch that synchronize APs and help with that, but it is only for the business market... too expensive for home use.

May be, if you put both on the same channel, they might create each other interference, so when you go upstairs XP no longer sees donwstair AP. Just may be.

Reply to
mlrodrig

~ On Aug 7, 6:00 pm, Bob Simon wrote: ~ > I have two Linksys routers in my house. There is a WRT54GS in my ~ > office upstairs and a BEFW11S4 downstairs in the living room. They ~ > are connected to each other via the LAN ports (bridged). The SSIDs ~ > and WEP keys are the same but one is set to channel 1 and the other to ~ > channel 7. I enabled DHCP on the upstairs router. ~ >

~ > When I roam around the house I can see the signal strength drop to one ~ > bar but XP does not switch to the other router unless I disable the ~ > connection or disconnect from the network. Then after I enable or ~ > re-connect, I'll get all five bars if I'm near the alternate router. ~ >

~ > Can XP be configured to transparently switch to the stronger signal? I ~ > notice that channel 1 is specified in the advanced tab of the wireless ~ > adapter configuration. Is this the problem? If not, is there another ~ > network design and/or configuration that will do what I want?

~ Wi-Fi is not as good as it should. A Wi-Fi client (in this case, your ~ XP) does not look for another AP unless the actual signal guest too ~ week to communicate.

That is not necessarily true. The basis on which a wireless client scans for and associates to APs is an implementation detail. Client vendors (may) put in a lot of thought as to how and on what basis their clients find APs and decide which one to associate to. With some client devices, this is tunable by the end user.

For the o.p.: you should find out what wireless client (chipset) and driver version you're using. Maybe newer code is smarter, or maybe you can tune the client behavior

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.