Landlord forgot to pay the Wifi Bill

So internet was down. But interestingly I could STILL connect and browser although much slower using TOR or any encrypted VPN. Why is that?

Reply to
BYANYOTHER NAME
Loading thread data ...

Obviously the internet was not down. It's not like your computer was browsing by f****ng telepathy. Your wifi may have been down, but then it becomes obvious you were connection another way. Cellular? Hardline? Ad-Hoc connection via another computer that did have a connection? Hotspot?

You cannot use the internet if the "Internet is down". That's like claiming you can use electricity when the electricity is out. If your house has power when the power is out, then you're getting it another way; generator, solar, batteries, something.. It doesn't spring into existence out of the ether.

Reply to
Johann Beretta

Johann Beretta snipped-for-privacy@nun-ya-bizness.com wrote in news:r1jnar$fn8$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Sorry but you're wrong. This has happened before. It has to do with access to the router/ISP's DNS server. When the connection is encrypted the ISP has no control over your DNS lookups, cannot block them, slow them, etc. Honestly you don't know what your talking about.

Reply to
BYANYOTHER NAME

Wow. Just... Wow.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

Sqwertz snipped-for-privacy@gmail.invalid wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sqwertz.com:

GZOWEY, ONLY GZOWEY, anything else intelligent u have to say?

Reply to
BYANYOTHER NAME

I am not wrong. I own a freakin' ISP. Do you not understand what you are saying? If the internet is "down", you cannot get on it. Down could mean any number of things... Your hardline to your ISP was cut, someone drove over your node (cable internet), etc etc.

I can assure you, when the internet is down, the signals to the VPN are not floating along magically. If you can browse the internet then it's not DOWN!

Reply to
Johann Beretta

Johann Beretta snipped-for-privacy@nun-ya-bizness.com wrote in news:r8b3v8$qgg$1 @dont-email.me:

You're just playing with semantics. By "down" I meant that no data transfers are occurring because the DNS server at the ISP is blocking or dropping them. Yeah I can connect, but you cannot do anything unless you encrypt everything so the ISP cannot get it's hands on your DNS lookups.

Sorry I offended your sense of word definitions!

Reply to
BYANYOTHER NAME

Don't be yelling at ME. I'm not the asshole here.

And there you are arguing with him again in the Trump thread <yawn>. Take it somewhere else.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

If you "encrypt your data" for DNS look-ups, then DATA TRANSFERS ARE OCCURRING.

Initial exchanges of keys, for secure communications, OCCUR IN THE CLEAR. The whole protocol operates in the clear. That's how it was designed.

You can't encrypt your data BEFORE you exchange temporary keys with the remote computer/server/device.

Otherwise, it would be like writing the combo to a safe on a sticky-note, putting the sticky note in the safe, closing and locking it, and then mailing it to a friend.

How is he gonna open it?

Furthermore, when I turn off the internet for a customer (non-payment, planned cancellation, etc) all the encrypted bullshit in the world isn't going to sneak by the system because we shut off ALL data transfers to the customer's IP address. Nothing in, nothing out. Even encrypted data still has bits in the clear. DESTination IP address data must be visible (internet has to know where to send that encrypted data) and there are a handful of other bits (header sizes, payload sizes, ACK packets, NACK packets, etc) that all must traverse in the clear. Even if you could come up with a system that could obfuscate all of that, you MUST have the IP address data in the clear. You cannot get around that. That's what is blocked when you are shut-off BY ANYONE.

Reply to
Johann Beretta

On 4/30/20 10:00 AM, Sqwertz wrote: ling at ME. I'm not the asshole here.

I'll take it where I please.

Reply to
Johann Beretta

Johann Beretta snipped-for-privacy@nun-ya-bizness.com wrote in news:r8hnkn$5iq$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

My understanding of tor is that the DNS lookups are handled by tor exclusively. The connection to the tor server might be in the clear but the dns lookups are not. That is why I can surf using tor and when I do not use it my dns lookups are blocked or thrown away because they go to the ISP dns server, not tor. The content of my tor data transfers is encrypted by the browser before it leaves my computer. The original post asked why this was happening. THe most likely correct reply is that the ISP is blocking access to DNS lookups at ITS servers. That is why I can still get web pages using TOR and not otherwise. Correct me if I am wrong, I'm all ears. The problem is a f***ed up ISP that blocks or drops dns lookups to its servers, hence the browser cannot find the web page you requested. I was not talking about the connection to the initial tor hop. I was talking about who does the dns lookup for that connection. It it's tor then i get the page. If it's the isp I don't. Down can mean many things-isp dns server is DOWN OR more likely incompetently managed. I guess you just like to show your SUPERIOR knowledge about everything rather than trying to help with the question.

Reply to
BYANYOTHER NAME

Superior knowledge? Yes.. I have over 25 years of low-level experience with the internet. I have an ARIN #. I've been doing this for a long time.

A DNS server or a web server or an FTP server are single nodes on the internet. Not being able to reach them, specifically, may or may not have anything to do with the internet as a whole.

Now, as far as your ISP's DNS server... I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around your claim that the Landlord forgot to pay his bill. Are you under the impression that the ISP blocks access to DNS as their method of shutting down an account for non-payment? While this is.... certainly technically possible, it would be absolutely ineffective. One can configure their computer to use any DNS server that permits inbound connections. 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1, 8.8.8.8, and 4.4.4.4 are four examples of DNS servers that permit anyone to connect, by design.

Those DNS servers (at least the first two) even offer DNS over HTTPS to get around any ISP blockages.

Tor probably does have an internal DNS list, as you suggest, otherwise it would not be able to resolve .onion addresses.

Is it possible that you are not able to browse the web outside of Tor because your computer's DNS settings are incorrect or absent?

If you did, in fact, have misconfigured or incorrect DNS settings on your PC you would have a hard (impossible) time getting anything to work if you're typing "www.anything" whereas if you fired up Tor you'd be using its internal, hard-coded, DNS servers.

Can you reach the internet from the command line? Using ping, for example.

I really don't think the ISP is cutting off access by disabling your DNS lookups. It's simply ineffective for anyone with a modicum of internet experience and would be detected almost immediately by anyone who notices that "ping" works.

@EliteBook-8470p:~$ ping 1.1.1.1 PING 1.1.1.1 (1.1.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.

64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=51.3 ms 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=24.3 ms 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=188 ms ^C

--- 1.1.1.1 ping statistics ---

3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2002ms

@EliteBook-8470p:~$ nslookup

formatting link
Server: 127.0.0.53 Address: 127.0.0.53#53

Non-authoritative answer:

formatting link
canonical name =
formatting link
Name:
formatting link
Address: 104.20.16.112 Name:
formatting link
Address: 104.20.15.112

In the above example, nslookup used my internal DNS settings to decide which server to query for

formatting link
If my settings were wrong, I'd have gotten an error message.

However, you can tell nslookup to use an external DNS server

@EliteBook-8470p:~$ nslookup > server 1.1.1.1 Default server: 1.1.1.1 Address: 1.1.1.1#53 >

formatting link
Server: 1.1.1.1 Address: 1.1.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:

formatting link
canonical name =
formatting link
Name:
formatting link
Address: 104.20.16.112 Name:
formatting link
Address: 104.20.15.112

If one works and the other does not, then investigate your computer's DNS settings. If those settings are correct for your ISPs DNS server IP addresses, then yeah... Either the DNS server is down due to a fault or you have the world's dumbest ISP :)

In the meantime, you can simply put 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 into your computer's DNS settings and see if you can browse again.

Reply to
Johann Beretta

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.