join a wireless network and have a router - how?

Right now I have a wireless USB adapter. It's connected to my PC and picks-up my friend's wireless network (w/the passwords) and I have access to the internet on my PC.

But I need another device I think:

I want to be able to join his wireless network and have a router with several ethernet sockets so I can connect my PC and additional internet devices like another PC or an internet phone so:

internet my friend's wireless network ME and I have a bunch of ethernet sockets to use.

What device should I buy? What is it called? I want to join a wireless network and then have several Ethernet RJ-45 sockets for devices to connect to the internet.

Reply to
goldtech
Loading thread data ...

An Ethernet Bridge/Converter does this, I use a Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP:

formatting link

Reply to
Steve Pearce

Agreed, that Buffalo WLI.-TX4-G54HP should be an excellent solution for you.

However, IF you like to play with things a bit, you can buy the wireless router version of the above device (called Buffalo WHR-HP- G54) and install free DD-WRT firmware on it. This will require some fiddleing, but have the advantage of being more flexible - adaptable later to serve as a router/AP when you get your own internet connection.

In sum: Best dedicated device to solve your problem with no "hacking": Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP Best flexible, multi-use device to solve your problem, but some "hacking" required: Buffalo WHR-HP-G54

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Many thanks to the posters. I bought the recommended unit and it's "looking good."

Seems that the local consumer electronics chain store carries it.

Reply to
goldtech

Steve, the solution for this problem may also solve my printing problem as I've just posted today, HOWEVER, I am wondering if I can re-use my now defunct wireless router/switch to serve as the bridge/ converter?

Can I log in to this old router setup, disable its internal DHCP server and set it up as a DHCP client to get its IP from my new wifi server? TIA. Its been a while since I went to this setup page, so I also may need to be able to setup its WEP/WPA key there so it will connect to my home net.

Reply to
cmdrdata

Depends on the model of the router. A few will do that. Most won't. What's the model?

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.