Is there a way to increase speed

Using a Linksys WRT54G router with a broadcom card. Hooked up to a cable modem.

Connected directly to the cable modem I get download speeds up to 4mbps. With the router I get half that speed.

Is it possible to use wireless and get the full speed benefit of this cable modem?

Reply to
jcgc50
Loading thread data ...

What OS? What wireless NIC *exactly*? What encryption? What PC spec?

Reply to
David Taylor

Pulled out of email reply...

There are a number of variables at work here and still without the information it's hard to answer.

I'll assume from "802.11 b/g" that you means that's the card speed? I know the router is a g but you haven't said what card you have

*exactly*.

What rate is that connecting at? Just because it's a g card to a g router doesn't mean that the signalling rate is always going to be

54Mbps regardless of how far away you are. One of my machines here has a g card and is presently connected at 2Mbps due to where it is.

If you're PC spec is so utterly low that it just can't do encryption to save its life then that will have a factor but you haven't said what spec it is.

So first things first, check that the PC is connected at highest speed first, if things are still slow, then turn off encryption and see what throughput you get.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

And you haven't answered his question about what you mean by "PC spec". I'd guess you want to know type of processor and speed, but it's a new one on me, too.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Sorry, but it still isn't clear to me what this is asking. But I have an Intel celeron processor 2.8 Ghz with 512 megs of RAM. This is an HP laptop.

I tried looking at the network icons in the tray and everything indicates

54mbps. I am sure that is not what you are looking for.
Reply to
jcgc50

Had I put a . at the end of spec. would that have made it clearer?! :)

PC Spec. as in abbreviation for "specification"

Reply to
David Taylor

Specification of the PC, PC Specification, PC Spec, i'm not sure how else to ask that?! All I was getting at was that when you're wired, there's no encryption taking place, when you're wireless you have encryption. If the processor is a cruddy old one then it's possible that the processor was an overhead. In your case, it's not.

Right, so back to the earlier question, have you tried the same speed test with all the encryption turned off anyway? It could be that the access point is processor bound. I haven't done any throughput tests on that router.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Yeah, I got that, but a PC has a lot of specs, and I wasn't sure which ones you'd be interested in either.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.