iPhone share of U.S. traffic hits 69%

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:27:45 -0700 (PDT), -hh wrote in :

Apples and oranges comparison -- you have to compare the same generation of battery technology and power management to draw any valid conclusions.

Doesn't work if you forget to do it. Swapping batteries is much faster and more reliable. And there are other advantages as well.

Thanks for proving my point.

There are of course disposable compact digital cameras, but the better ones have superior lenses to dSLR cameras that can't be matched even at many times the price, aren't subject to real obsolescence, and have compelling advantages of cost, size, weight, and handling. In other words, not a good analogy.

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

it's actually very small. i know of *nobody* who carries a second cell phone battery, let alone owns a second cell phone battery. battery life, particularly on non-smartphones lasts *days* in typical use.

after a couple years, they replace the phone, often for less than what a second battery costs. the last time i had a second cell phone battery was 15 years ago with analog phones and today i get more talk time than i did standby back then.

as for laptops, npd says less than 5% buy a second battery:

Hardly anybody buys extra batteries. Research firm NPD estimates that fewer than 5% of consumers buy a spare. So, a small trend has begun in the industry: More electronic products are being designed with their rechargeable batteries sealed inside. For instance, Dell¹s (DELL) new high-end laptop, the Adamo, has a sealed battery, as does the excellent Flip pocket video camera.

so why aren't people slamming dell or flip? picking on just apple is 'yet another excuse'.

except that the dock does more than just audio and video and the docks are much simpler because the output is analog.

Reply to
nospam

they could have made it with a different radio but for whatever reason, they didn't. the verizon rumour is just that, a rumour. anyone who was at the meetings won't talk about what went on and everyone else is guessing. they probably decided on gsm early on.

they probably looked at cdma too, but that's not what made it out the door. not everything does make it out the door.

Reply to
nospam

4 bars is stronger than 1 bar on the same device and it's basically the same source code on both devices. the point is that i get decent speed at a much greater distance than what jeff reports.
Reply to
nospam

the search is there now, it's the folders they need to add.

Reply to
nospam

the difference is actually not small as apple's new macbooks show. 8+ hours battery life is "Battery Life to Die For" and "The Best Battery Life I¹ve Ever Seen"

except that the typical cellphone lasts more than one day (often a couple of days in average use) so it's not a big deal to put it on the charger at night.

nonsense.

flip video camera.

Reply to
nospam

nope. changing to an internal battery allows for different and possibly better battery technology.

nor does it work out if you forget to charge the spare.

there are advantages to each. what matters is what best benefits the typical consumer. there will always be users at the edges of the curve who need multiple batteries or can go weeks on just one charge. those are *not* typical.

Reply to
nospam

Navas is also wrong because even if we ignore that factor, the elimination of the battery case & related pieces aren't weightless, so a "bigger battery" can thus be installed at the same system weight.

It also fails if one forgets to swap out to the spare.

Consequently, intead of just one failure point, there's now two failure point opportunities in what Navas claims is "better".

Exactly. As such, it is best reserved for speciality applications where the simpler, less-error-prone process is inadequate.

[Edit: restored]

This was mentioned because Navas holds strong opinions on "built-ins" when it comes to other modern electronics, which contradicts his anti- built-in position here:

In other words, Navas is saying that it has a *great* lens.

Except that that *great* glass has to be thrown away when the sensor starts to develop hot spots and fail, or if the camera's electronics go up...or merely that the owner simply wants to move up to a newer camera with more features or pixels.

Because it revealed Navas's hypocrisy.

Modularity is good when John wants it... ...and when he doesn't, its then evil and overly expensive.

-hh

Reply to
-hh

And it will probably charge faster if you give it up to 1A--that's the output rating on the cube adapter that's shipped with new iPhones (since last year's models).

Steve

Reply to
Steve Fenwick

Um... why is there an emerging market for high-priced hardware that can do this kind of traffic analysis on extremely large volumes of data if it's already supposedly a trivial feature of existing equipment?

AT&T is also probably smart enough to do a cost/benefit analysis.

Reply to
ZnU

No, it's pointing out another example of a supposedly significant criticism of Apple that actually boils down to "Apple only designed this product to meet the needs of 90% of users, not 100%, therefore it sucks".

And if the RIAA and MPAA were reasonable, that would even matter.

Unless you're dreaming of a world where you can replace individual components of your cell phone, I don't really see what you could be after here.

Reply to
ZnU

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 15:09:21 -0400, nospam wrote in :

Nope. Saying so doesn't make it so.

Reply to
John Navas

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:30:51 -0700 (PDT), -hh wrote in :

The difference isn't significant. You're getting pretty desperate and silly. The rest of your post is even worse, There's just no reasoning with those who have drunk the Apple Kool-Aid.

Reply to
John Navas

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 15:09:16 -0400, nospam wrote in :

Still meaningless.

Reply to
John Navas

the fact that you keep resorting to such remarks shows just how weak your argument really is.

Reply to
nospam

it's not meaningless. 4 bars gives me much better performance than 1 bar and that's been the case on just about every device i've used.

Reply to
nospam

Hulu's using Flash, netflix is using silverlight, Joost is using something of their own (as far as I know), so is Spotify. CinemaNow is using WMP, and so are lots of others.

That's what I'm saying, the current landscape isn't h.264/wmp. And the current landscape is already growing strong, and none is even remotely compatible with Apple.

Then we're stuck with the same problem again, with the availability for a specific codec (say, h.264) is dependant on the deals the distributor can strike with the content owners.

I'm just saying that the general consumer likes TV, ie. being "fed" something that someone else has selected. podcasting and rss feeds are all fine and dandy, but in the end, most of us like the idea of having a "program" to listen/watch to as well, if for no other reason than our curiosity that isn't being satisfied with self-selected content.

Sorry, maybe bad wording. I meant the current players at the time. I.e. Rio and stuff. I believe the PSP was the first portable to support AAC out of the box, but I may be mistaken.

Reply to
Sandman

Yep! It's great.

Actually, I'm in Sweden, so I can't buy movies from the iTunes store :(

I repeat: I really love the ATV, use it daily. It's like an iPod connected to your TV, with all your music, all your movies right there.

Reply to
Sandman

I do and so do most of my friends and accomplices. I have at least 2 batteries for most of my assorted phones. The LIPO batteries hold their charge for many weeks, so I just throw a charged battery into the car and use it when I run the battery into the ground. That does happen, especially when I forget to charge the battery the night before. Incidentally, buying spare batteries on eBay for friends has become a serious time burner. No sooner do my friends get a new phone, I get the honor of buying them a spare battery, and spare chargers. We all have chargers in the car, at home, and in the office.

This was one of my office "desks" a few years ago:

The average lifetime of a cell phone is about 18 months. I agree on the cost. Subsidized phones can even be free (ignoring the applicable taxes and hidden charges).

I don't know how it works with GSM, but when I'm out of range of any cell tower, my phone starts to hunt for a connection by cranking up the power output to max, and almost continuously announcing its presence. Battery life under such conditions is about 4 hours. We have a few dead spots in the area. I visited some friends who live in one of these holes. When I arrived, I had about a 75% charged battery. When I left a few hours later, it was nearly dead. When we had the fiber optic cable cut in April, Verizon stupidly shut down it's cellular network. The phone showed no service at any location. My battery was fully charged by about 8AM. Verizon pulled the plug at about 11AM. I had a dead battery by 4 or 5AM. Others had similar experiences.

True. There's a rather large gap between a $10 eBay cell phone battery, and a $100 to $150 laptop battery. Manufacturers could probably get away with non-replaceable batteries on laptops because typical lifetime of a laptop (about 3 years) is about the same as the lifetime of the battery. Almost every laptop I've bought used on eBay or Craig's List has had a dead or nearly dead battery. Charge the battery 3 times a week, and with an optimistic lifetime of 500 hours, the battery will be toast in about 3 years. However, unlike the cell phone, replacing the battery is a major expense that constitutes a major percentage of the cost of a replacement laptop. Might as well invest in a new laptop instead. That makes plenty of sense when the replacement costs $100 to $150, but a new Netbook is only $325.

Well, Apple has sold 45 million iPhones. Dell has sold perhaps a few thousand high end laptops. I think the size of the customer base may have something to do with the frequency of complaints. (Bigger companies make better targets).

I don't know much about the Flip cameras. One web site claims they've sold 2 million cameras.

Probably close enough. I tried the Flip Mino, hated it, and managed to get store credit when I returned it. Nobody I know has one or needs one after they figure out how to do movies on their digital camera. Perhaps Flip's plan really was to make it a throw away camera? Anyway, there's plenty wrong with the Flip that complaining about the non-replaceable battery is below the noise level. They also haven't been around long enough for battery replacement to be a problem.

Flip has also changed their mind about the non-replaceable battery. The Flip Mino had the sealed NiMH batteries. However, the new Flip UltraHD apparently uses either alkaline AA batteries or rechargeable AA cells.

Perhaps a compromise. I'll take an adapter that connects between the Apple proprietary 30 pin connector, and something standard.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That "so" is a non sequitur, alas. After all, it's currently free to maintain a Yahoo GeoCities site, but that's *not* going to "remain the same" -- Yahoo have already predicted free GeoCities sites will be disappearing in the Fall, and urge that one either transfer one's pages elsewhere or upgrade to a paid AT&T/Yahoo GeoCities hosting plan.

Usenet users, likewise, "come from the pure computer world," but that hasn't stopped at&t from deciding to shut down all the NNTP servers, access to which used to be part of their ISP services package. Worldnet, Bellsouth, SBCglobal, none of 'em will let you post (or gather) your news to (or from) their feeds any more. So whose bending in that scenario?

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.