iPhone share of U.S. traffic hits 69%

nope, you might want to revisit the community creed:

"here¹s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently.

They¹re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can¹t do is ignore them. Because they change things.

They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."

Reply to
David Moyer
Loading thread data ...

like i said, nonsense. that says absolutely nothing about what at&t will charge for tethering.

Reply to
nospam

obviously, but today, it's free... that is the point...

Reply to
David Moyer

today it's a terms of service violation. the fact that it's free right now is more luck than anything else.

Reply to
nospam

Sounds like a great honeypot app...

Gotcha!

Reply to
News

it's not a violation unless a court case is won, so currently it's free.

zero luck is involved, it's just the mac community standing against corporations, as it always has.

Reply to
David Moyer

An army of fanbois, sticking it to the man...

Is there a B-movie in this?

Reply to
News

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 12:23:32 -0600, David Moyer wrote in :

Sorry, but that's not how the law works.

How silly and childish.

Reply to
John Navas

I realize there are workarounds. I've been tethering PDAs and PCs to cell phones since the days when they used adapters with RJ-11 jacks to connect the PC to.

My point is that when AT&T locks down the system, they'll block tethering via the "official" phone tethering menu method unless you subscribe to a tethering plan. The jailbreakers have been tethering right along, and will continue to under the radar.

AT&T is learning that the appropriate bright shiny object can be more locked down than any phone on their network yet can still can milk a customer for an average of $90+ a month instead of the average $55 everyone else is paying. You're really showing them, Oxy! If you want AT&T and the cell networks to "learn" something- use an iPod Touch!

Reply to
Todd Allcock

i doubt any fanboys would be involved, it's more of "just the way it is" with apple products and the direction its users are taking society. it's rooted in the counterculture, the very essence of apple.

formatting link

Reply to
David Moyer

You charge 2c to drop your piss stained frilly panties!!

Reply to
jon

Left to a group of ad-fanbois like the one in the AAPL ads, no doubt.

An opportunity lost to monetize what is otherwise a meager existence.

Reply to
News

it's a violation of the terms of service which the customer willingly signed. at&t could incur a fine if they wanted to, but i doubt they will because it's probably too much effort for them to track usage properly to get it right so they'll just let it slide until they can charge for it.

nonsense.

Reply to
nospam

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:49:45 -0400, nospam wrote in :

AT&T tracks usage accurately. Technology to do that is standard.

Reply to
John Navas

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 12:43:28 -0600, "Todd Allcock" wrote in :

There are some dead giveaways AT&T can use to detect and police unauthorized tethering. Whether it chooses to do so will probably depend on the amount of abuse.

It's probably more like $70-80 for customers with a data package.

Reply to
John Navas

of course...

yes, but now the non-jailbreakers have joined the party and there is nothing ATT can do about it.

the average plan for a smartphone isn't $55, it's more around $70... yes, of course in time everything will be free wifi, so it's little concern to me.

Reply to
David Moyer

yes, just as i said... it's currently free...

you sound out of touch, that's all.

Reply to
David Moyer

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:01:08 -0600, David Moyer wrote in :

On the contrary, as other naive customers of AT&T have learned the hard way.

Reply to
John Navas

This worries you because... you were use to getting 5c?

Reply to
News

they may not be able to discern tether usage versus normal iphone usage. plus, their accounting is very primitive - it tracks 1k blocks as 1 second calls. in other words, if you use 24k, you made a 24 second call.

Reply to
nospam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.