How to see ALL wireless devices in range?

Yes that seems a low effort solution and I have a backup router available.

Reply to
AnthonyL
Loading thread data ...

Point taken. Apologies for any offence. I couldn't quite hear how you wrote it :)

Reply to
AnthonyL

Fast reply. Verry bizze today...

Line Attenuation 60dB or above is bad and will experience connectivity issues

SN Margin (AKA Signal to Noise Margin or Signal to Noise Ratio) 7dB-10dB is fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions

I'm surprised it even works. The slightest hiccup and it will probably lose carrier.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That is really pushing it. I would simply downgrade. Five interruptions a day is nuts. I suppose the high speed is for netfilx, but I can't see that working well.

Incidentally, I wouldn't suggest anyone climb a pole. The rule is the phone company does the work up to the point of demarcation.

Reply to
miso

He's on a rate-adaptive service. It should "downgrade" itself automatically, but if not, the ISP can intervene and request a more stable profile [ie train towards a higher margin].

Reply to
alexd

But users would leave fast if there was no Internet. ;)

Reply to
Ant

I ran it on my PC. It seems to work well. It even found my print sever, which some programs have trouble detecting.

Note the CSV file, at least on windows, is actually separated by semicolons, not commas. That would make it a ssv file. ;-)

Reply to
miso

You want to get the MAC. The IP is whatever you assign to it.

I had the occasion to honeypot a hacker. It was interesting to see what country they were in. Yes to Africa, but no to Nigeria.

Reply to
miso

For what purpose, though? To see if they're using an Intel NIC or something from Linksys, etc.? Since you're not letting them actually do anything, there's no real activity that you can tie back to that MAC.

Right. The IP holds no interesting information.

But we're talking about wireless access. You'd have to live in one of those areas to see connection attempts from there.

Reply to
Char Jackson

The app for android shows a lot more info and gives many extra options.

Reply to
possum

Yes, my honeypot was not wireless.

I was thinking if the person was local, the mac would eventually turn up on some other wifi. You could sniff it with kismet and wireshark, using a filter. See who it talks too, etc.

But maybe a better plan is to provide some internet service to the person and monitor the traffic. They will eventually give themselves away.

Reply to
miso

Download aircrack-ng , a set of monitoring/cracking utilities. Command-line, but very powerful, you need to read the docs. It's available in most Linux dists. Native on Backtrack.There is a Windows version, but I've never tried it. The utility airodump-ng will allow you to see everything, and you can redirect to capture files if necessary. It is sensitive to the wireless adapter on your PC. I have a ralink 73 USB which works perfectly.

Wireshark will do what you want too. A bit of an overkill.... If you don't want to read too many docs, probably the way to go. Make sure it's capturing in promisc mode and turn DNS resolution off. FWIW

Reply to
Shadow

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.