How do I get rid of Ubuntu Linux?

All: How do I get rid of Ubuntu 12.04 on a preinstalled Windows 8 PC?

Reply to
Keith D. Lee
Loading thread data ...

By a Windows 8 PC, do you mean a PC with windows 8 and Ubuntu on it, or a Windows 8 capable PC that only has ubuntu on it?

Reply to
miso

All: I meant the former.

Reply to
Keith D. Lee

So you have a dual boot system. I'm hesitant to describe how to fix this since I can't give a step by step procedure.

Getting rid of Ubuntu is easy. You just burn a copy of Parted Magic, then delete the Ubuntu partitions. You could possibly do that right from win8. The partitions should be "ext".

The problem is fixing the boot loader. While I have done that before, it was never easy nor straightforward. Boot loader issues are just the worst.

Before you do anything to the PC, I suggest getting a boot CD. What you do is set up your PC to boot from a CD. Then boot from the CD. The CD will find operating systems on your hard drive. Use the CD to boot to windows.

I think the Parted Magic CD can also be used to boot to an OS.

Once you can boot to windows from a CD, it is very unlikely you will mess up your PC to the point where windows can't be used. You might be stuck using the boot CD trick for a while until you fix the problem.

You should probably ask this question on a PC group rather than the wireless internet group. But no matter what crap they tell you, do not do a thing until you can boot to windows from a CD.

The big problem is Microsoft treats everyone like a criminal. You don't get the installation DVD when you purchase commercial PCs. So it isn't like you can just install the windows OS and start over. You need to never destroy the window OS nor the repair partition for the life of the computer.

Reply to
miso

Removing boot loader (GRUB) is easy. Boot a Windoze 8 upgrade or new install DVD. Do NOT use a recovery DVD as supplied by the unspecified hardware vendor. If you don't have a Windoze 8 DVD, a Windoze 7 DVD will work.

1. Shove the Win 7 installation/Upgrade disc in the disc drive, and then boot from the DVD. You may have to hit F12 or something to select the boot device.
  2. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard, input method, or any other details that MS demands. Hit Next.
  3. Select "Repair your computer".
  4. Select the operating system that you want to repair (Windows 7 in this case), and then hit Next.
  5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
  6. At the command prompt, inscribe: BOOTREC.EXE /FIXMBR and hit ENTER. You should see "operation completed successfully." It's very quick so don't panic if it looks like nothing happened.

Disclaimer: If you didn't do an image backup of your existing Windoze partition and you make a mistake, you deserve the consequences.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That's the way I like to do it, with nothing open or running off the drive to screw things up. However, you can edit the boot record from Windoze with the free version of: Note that EasyBCD requires Vista, Win 7, or Win 8 and won't play on XP.

Guilty as charged. I fight evil with more evil.

You can order "recovery" DVD's from the OEM manufacturers for about $15 plus shipping. An image backup of the recovery partition is quite helpful.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I still suggest learning to use a boot CD, especially if this is your only computer.

I don't own an UEFI computers, so does win7 works on them?

I haven't run ubuntu lately except on arm. But I don't think they use GRUB on intel hardware. Ubuntu is infamous for doing things their way, not to mention it is not a community project, so I avoid using Ubuntu.

I build my own PCs and pay the windows tax. I've been using OEM windows, which in theory doesn't allow it to be moved between machines, but in practice it just phones home and you feed some long code to get it running again. I still have a copy of X64 I never bothered to upgrade.

My notebook is dual boot, so I just used the grub repair on Parted Magic. It it a Dell ATG that myseriously came with the OS DVD. I think it was a government purchase that went back to the Dell refurb store. [Years later, Dell is still sending me pork.]

Simcards cost around a dollar. I really don't see why Microsoft and Intel don't get together and devise some simcard security scheme and be done with all this argravation. Give everyone an install DVD and a simcard with computer purchase.

Reply to
miso

If UEFI is disabled in the BIOS, Win 7 should work. I haven't tried it yet. If UEFI is enabled in the BIOS, maybe. This looks useful:

Ubuntu uses GRUB. My 12.04LTS laptop uses GRUB. You might be thinking of LILO, which is essentially dead.

When you're number one, you can do that. I have plenty of issues with what Ubuntu is doing. I don't like the Unity desktop. I can do without the needless bloat. For all the their faults, they seem to do be doing what the multitudes want them to do, which is simplify the user experience. While this pisses off the hackers and experts, it's great for the beginners.

I do much the same thing. However, OEM Windoze has a big advantage. On name brand hardware (Dell, HP, Compaq, Sony, Acer(?), Gateway, etc), you don't have to type in the serial number or do the online activation ceremony, IF YOU USE THE OEM CD's TO DO THE INSTALL. If you try to install a retail version, it will ask for the serial number.

I like Dell. Plenty of complaints, issues and problems, but easy to work on, lots of parts available on eBay, and decent quality, especially the mechanics on some units. Not the best, but good enough for me.

That would work. No clue on the cost and maintenance requirements. We're still in the Wild West of computing. Such things my come in the future, but only after someone pays for the added security.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I think Red Hat would argue who is number one. Red Hat is a billion dollar corporation. Canonical was last stated at $30 million.

Suse is way bigger:

Centos is a rip off of Red Hat Enterprise. I don't think they are allowed to bill themselves as such, but they just duplicate the Red Hat distro.

I see ubuntu is on grub2, just like suse.

Personally, I find opensuse to be the right mix of professionalism and ease of use. Red Hat is kind of hard to run on the desktop. Opensuse is pretty bonehead as far as the user is concerned. Run KDE and it feels like windows. Yast2 duplicates the windows control panel.

Suse has been working on embedded. It is tough to go head to head with Red Hat.

Reply to
miso

When the figures are limited to include only those websites that use some flavor of Linux, Ubuntu now commands 21.4 per cent of the market, with Red Hat, Fedora, and Suse trailing with 10.5 per cent, 3.7 per cent, and 2.4 per cent, respectively.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

But web serving isn't the entire linux market. You can't pick one market to justify the claim. I still stand by the claim that Red Hat is number one overall. [If we limit the market to point of sale terminals, Suse wins.]

Canonical is barely profitable, while Red Hat is a billion dollar corporation.

If I were web serving, I'd go BSD. You want as few updates as possible since uptime is king in web serving.

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.