Help on Mesh network.

Hi, I'd like to know what are the differences between a Mesh wifi network and a non-Mesh one. I"m going to set a non-Mesh WiFi network one but I'm going to assign the same SSID, passwords, etc. at my powerline and access points.. The switching to the different wifi points when I walk in the different my house's areas 1) is not the same management of Mesh WiFi system? What are the differences? In a Mesh network if you connect to the different points 2) will you have short drop of connections as you are in a non-Mesh one? Thanks for your help!!!!

Reply to
freejazz
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for your precious reply. I had to study a bit for your technical reply.. But I wonder about the "backing to haul in the network" what does it mean exactly because I think is in there the real difference between the two modes (Mesh vs non-Mesh). I know that a Mesh network can manage the APs in different ways through the band freqs and which AP is the bes to use for the clients.. These years I've been using a TpLink 4220 kit with no-Mesh feature and I have to admit that they are very reliable and I never have connection drops and the speed reaches about 60Mb/s on ethernet output from the receiver. (At home I have got a 200Mb/s peak Internet VDSL) Recently I've tried a Fritz 1260/1220 powerline adapters kit as I'm using a Fritzbox 7530 router to set a Mesh network but I can't reach 70 Mb/s even as peak speed and the network's internet connection fails and I have to restart the router. I know that it's a different matter and the speed is affected by many factors as the state of the wires in my power line, etc...

About the handing-off between APs in BSSD vs ESSD why did you write that handing-off of APs for the latter is not seen by clients? I admit I have some lack of basis knowledge...:-P

Reply to
freejazz

My understanding is that mesh (WiFi) networks use the WiFi back haul to the rest of the network (usually the gateway to the Internet. Conversely, non-mesh networks used wired connections back to the rest of the network.

Mesh also tends to imply that each AP has connections to multiple other APs. Thus if one AP goes down, it does not break / split communications of the overall network. Consider the following:

[AP]---[AP]---[AP]---[AP]---[AP]

If any one of the middle APs stop working, then end to end connectivity is broken.

[AP]---[AP]---[AP]---[AP]---[AP] \ / \ / \ / \ / X X X X / \ / \ / \ / \ [AP]---[AP]---[AP]---[AP]---[AP]

If any one of the middle APs stop working, there are multiple alternate pats protecting the end to end connectivity.

To support this, mesh networks have some additional complexity to manage the redundancy that non-mesh networks don't have.

This has more to do with the mode that the APs are in, Basic (as in BSSID) or Extended (as in ESSID). Basic is just a bunch of independent APs. Extended is the APs working in concert with each other to streamline hand off between APs.

I believe you can brute force things and have a bunch of APs in BSSID mode with the same SSID (but on different, non-conflicting channels, 1,

6, and 11) to cause client devices to choose between the best (strongest) signal. However, this type of hand off is probably visible to end devices.

Conversely APs in ESSID mode work to streamline the hand off between APs and as such make it much less likely that clients will notice anything.

Not that the BSSID vs ESSID has nothing in and of itself to do with mesh vs non-mesh. -- Again, my understanding is.... -- Mesh vs non-mesh has to do with the connectivity from each individual AP back to the rest of the network, not what client's see and how they interact with the APs.

I hope I answered this above.

As described above, this has more to do with BSSID vs ESSID mode and very little to do with mesh vs non-mesh.

You're welcome.

Reply to
Grant Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.