Help! Linksys 4 port wireless G

From the above quotation.

Someone said "drivers aren't expected to prove to dealers the're competent to drive, so why should router buyers be expected to prove competency?" to which you replied "ah, but the state regulates drivers". The inference seems obvious to me.

Don't get me wrong - I personally think you're right that more security rigour should be applied by hardware vendors and makers. We're at long last starting to see software makers taking it seriously, hopefully the same will start to happen in the consumer hw business soon.

And for what its worth, one perfectly sensible way to ensure this /is/ to regulate for it. I'm in favour of this, by and large - corporations are not in it for consumer protection, they're in it to make money, so will invariably take the route of least resistance. Nothing wrong with that, but sometimes it leads to Bad Results. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Regulation is the surest way to Bad Results. The market works(c), even though it's often messy, and we'll get better security when the market demands it. The Good Thing about all these security problems is that people are finally be woken up to the importance of good security. Vendors that respond to that need will succeed; those that don't will fall by the wayside. It's a natural process that doesn't need regulation. What might help are clearer laws holding vendors liable for the financial consequences of their negligence.

Reply to
John Navas

Suppose I want to run an open wireless AP?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

No problem. First you get to read a web page with a wholesale repudiation of responsibility in legalese, combined with a detailed lecture on wireless security, followed by the usual [I agree] button. There's no intent to prevent you from sharing your connection. I just don't want the wireless to be wide open by default.

How's this?

W A R N I N G ! You have chosen to configure your wireless to be open access without any security or encryption. The means that anyone with a compatible wireless device can access your network and any network devices on your network. If this is your intent, then please continue. If you want to setup a secure wireless system, please read this article [click here] on wireless security and use the following wizard.

[Yeah] I wanna run a wide open insecure system. [Oops] I really want a secure system. [Duh ] Run the Wizard.

Welcome to the super easy wireless security Wizard. Pick one: [ ] Just generate the most secure settings and print the list of settings and passwords. [ ] I have ancient junk for client radios and can't do WPA. [ ] I'm a network guru and want to pick my own settings and passwords.

etc...

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hmm, what brand can I get that avoids this...

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

"We are the borg, resistance is useless, you will be assimilated"

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Mark McIntyre hath wroth:

"Strength is irrelevant, resistance is futile. We wish to improve ourselves. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service ours."

-The Borg

I'm missing the connection here. Are you perhaps suggesting that this would somehow join the global wireless mesh network, that once it grows past a critical size, develops self-awareness followed by the inevitable destructive rampage against mankind? I've always suspected that mesh networks were dangerous. However, I'm protected. I have a tin foil hat.

Incidentally, my suggestions do not involve adding or removing any features or functions. You can still do everything and anything you want including run a wide open wireless network. I'm just changing the way they are enabled, the default state, and how things are configured.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

A sense of humour, I suspect. :-(

No, I'm just suggesting that your post sounded like a cross between the borg and something from HHG2G. The bit where Arthur says "ford, what happens if I press this button... oh" "what happened" "a sign lit up saying, don't press this button again". :-)

Ah, but is it tin or aluminium? Different wavelength absorbtion characteristics, see... Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Mark McIntyre hath wroth:

Sorry. I just write humor, not read it.

Yes. That was intentional. I resisted the temptation to add:

There is nothing wrong with your wireless router. Do not attempt to adjust the settings. We are controlling setup page. If we wish to make it more powerful, we will bring up the transmit power. If we wish to generate less interference, we will crank it down. We can trash the error rate to a uselessness, or tune it to perfection. We will control the modulation. We will control the encryption. For the next key exchange interval, sit quietly and we will control all that you send and receive. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the antenna to... The Outer Limits.

Three layers. Mu Metal, aluminium, and plastic. Protects against magnetic fields, RF, and rain.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.