Help!

Hi everyone,

Ok I'm new to newsgroups but mainly very new to wireless networks.

Truthfully I'm not sure where to start, my old computer which I'm currently using is very old and due for the skip soon! My new computer arrives this Saturday.

This computer is connected on a 2mb Broadband Cable connection provided by Telewest (A UK ISP) Its a Ethernet connection but when the new computer comes i want the new computer to go downstairs as this is all currently wired upstairs. I could get Telewest to come re-cable and have the new computer hard wired downstairs but its hassle which is what got me onto the idea of Wireless! I've looked around on the net and its seems to say i need a wireless router and a wireless usb port ??

I want to keep the Cable modem upstairs on it's own not attached to anything and have the new computer downstairs attached wirelessly to the modem upstairs. Is this possible. What i've read so far is mainly for having one computer hard wired to the network and having other computers attached to the broadband connection via wireless. However i just want 1 computer attached but i'd prefer the cable modem to be in 1 room and the computer in another. And is a wireless router what i need and a wireless usb attachment? where do they go ! i haven't a clue sorry.

Thanks for any help, hope it sort of makes sense!

Reply to
Matt Jenkins (Personal)
Loading thread data ...

There are a number of things you can do, the USB wireless adapters work OK but I've had a lot of problems with these devices due to weak signal. Option 1: You have better luck purchasing a PCI wireless card. You will need a wireless AP to provide the connectivity to the computer downstairs. Opiton 2: You can setup a peer-to-peer network but you will have to have 2 wireless cards and just do internet connection sharing through the ethernet of the device connected to your cable modem.

Option 1 is your better choice for stability.

Sean Hartling Skybeam High Speed Wireless Internet

Reply to
Sean

"Sean" wrote in news:j0xtd.647$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com:

In addition to this excellent advice, I'll tell you that it certainly is possible not to have a desktop PC connected to your router via a hardwire. You do, however, need a hardwire connection to configure your router / access point initially.

Also, I would caution that if anything should go wrong with the router or access point, and you are unable to connect to it, you will need to connect via an ethernet cable to reconfigure and troubleshoot. This is not as dire as it might seem, as the workaround is quite simple: you can go to most computer stores and get a very long Cat 5 cable. Provided that you don't mind breaking this cable out of the closet, and your computer is within reasonable distance of the router (about 100 meters), when things go wrong, you should be ok. That's most likely the route that I would take.

Finally, you can very often find a wireless router for about the same price as a standalone access point. It might behoove you to have less hardware and get the consolidated model. Linksys, Belkin, DLink, and Netgear all make excellent wireless routers that I have configured and used.

The Chairman

Reply to
The Chairman

Thankyou so much for your replies and advice, I'm starting to understand whats needed.

I think the new computer has a PCI 802.11g ? card installed already but i'm not 100% sure about this, so does that mean all i need is a wireless router that i connect to the Surfboard Cable modem i have upstairs and these two devices connect via a ethernet cable which is currently plugged into the back of this (my old) computer?

I'm sorry if i sound thick but you mentioned about fixed AP and 'all in one' wireless routers, whats the difference and what is a fixed AP? I don't remember reading about these, however i have read about wireless routers and do agree that i'll probably opt for buying netgear or D-Link or something similar.

Reply to
Matt Jenkins (Personal)

"Matt Jenkins (Personal)" wrote in news:nfNtd.119472$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Yes, that's all you need.

I don't recall anything about a "fixed" AP, but I did mention a standalone AP. Very basically, the difference is that a router has the ability to assign IP addresses, allowing multiple computers to connect to one another and a shared internet connection. An access point is not as "smart" as a router, and only provides wireless access. It doesn't assign individual addresses to multiple computers, and most often is used in combination with a router.

Reply to
The Chairman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.