Finding wireless access points.

Yeah, I know. Ever since I had a heart bypass operation, I've never done anything half-heartedly.

That sounds like a failure of the license key. Without the license, it goes into demo (simulation) mode. I think that's the way the demo version runs as the license key is probably tied to the MAC address of the PCMCIA card.

Which version?

Well, I have 4 of the Proxim RangeLAN2 7400 cards.

formatting link
all have lousy sensitivity. I refuse to install the Proxim driver that comes with the card on any of my machine because of the extreme difficulties I've had trying to uninstal and/or rip out the driver. Also, most of my laptops run XP. The driver does't work under XP.

Sorry, but I have a few other things I would prefer doing.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Hmmm, the vendor states that a user can use the software from a distribution cd or as downloaded from their website; there is no mention of any keyfile or software keys.

The problem is seen on both versions.

Not RangeLAN2 but HomeRF2 cards (USB and PCMCIA) See earlier threads with keyword 'airsleuth' or 'HomeRF' in this N.G.

This hardware must have been bought in volume by the package vendor, before it all ran out; but the question remains as to how they could alter anything in the hardware for a key.

A question for the general readership: has anyone purchased any airsleuth products? Does the software shipped with the product differ from that on the website, including having more files or different files?

Michael

Reply to
msg

I used to do that at least once a month. Learned a few things, which unfortunately included that I can get lost even with all the technology, maps, and directions. Ending up 20 miles away from the hidden transmitter taught me that there was more to foxhunts than pointing the yagi and driving like a maniac.

Some comments on rotating antenna direction finders versus doppler type direction finders can be found in my previous rants at:

The Santa Barbara transmitter hunters pioneered using butchered radar heads for VHF direction finding. They would replace the dish on the radar with a yagi, and use the synchro driven PPI scope to display the signal strength versus the bearing. There were a series of articles in 73 magazine describing the hardware and its operation. This would probably be a great way to do direction finding in a vehicle. These days, you don't need a mechanical nightmare to spin the antenna. Lots of tricks available that will display the pattern on a laptop. With some programming, it can be integrated with mapping software and GPS. Some of these features are presently in some version of APRS software, but nothing that's really suitable for Wi-Fi direction finding.

As I previously hinted, driving around is only part of the puzzle. When you get close, the big antenna is nearly useless. You have to get out of the vehicle, and do some "sniffing" with a hand held antenna and radio. Incidentally, that's lots of fun when you come face to face with a tall glass wall office building, where the interference could be coming from any of the offices on almost any floor. Got a helicopter?

Hint: There are antennas with very narrow beamwidths in only one axis:

Also, among the not so great ideas, is the Bluetooth Rifle:

The idea is to NOT be too obvious.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.