find the nearest wireless access point

Hi all,

Here I will tell in detail about my *problem*. In my project I

created one application which basically used to find out the access

points near the user who downloaded my application from the internet.

This application is for those who carry wireless devices like laptops

etc.What I want to do is to first find out the physical location of the

access point the user connected to may be through ZIP code or somewhat

like that.Then finding out the nearest AP the user is in I have to

locate all the access points within 200 miles from this AP.

By this I will automatically give all the AP information to the

user.Also this is usefull bcos when user is moving to some other

location he can get the APs information automatically.

So suggest me whether I need an API of what type for this or How can I

make it programmatically.Reply.

jiten

Reply to
jiten dash
Loading thread data ...

Is this a class project or skool project?

Access points do not move. Clients move. Therefore, all that would be necessary is a database of access points and their location. These can be found in various hot-spot locators on the web or you can make your own using Netstumbler and a GPS. There is mapping and data conversion software available.

formatting link
's fairly rough, but seems to work.

formatting link
MS MapPoint 2004 to display maps.

formatting link
converts Netstumbler maps into Delorme Street Atlas or DeLorme MapSource maps.

formatting link
to Terraserver aerial photo maps.

Please note that no matter what system you use, you're displaying YOUR location, not that of the access point. If you pickup a signal from far away, you'll have a large potential area in which the access point might be located. Such sniffing is full of errors.

"Give" is a dirty word. That implies push technology which shoves information at the user or into his laptop when not desired. I suggest you rephrase your project definition into something where the user requests, or polls for information.

That's roughly what "wireless mobile IP" is suppose to do.

formatting link
IEEE is still working on a standard for wireless roaming and mobile IP.

An API is an application programming interface. In other words, a collection of libraries necessary to impliment some specific application. I can't really tell what your assignment or project actually requires as your project definition is rather vague and excessively broad. (I'm also the worlds worst programmist).

You might be interested in reading RFC3825. ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3825.txt Basically, it pre-loads the Lat-Long and altitude (or floor number) in the access point. When a user associates, it delivers the location info the users computer. When they call 911 using a VoIP phone, the location info is forwarded to the PSAP (public safety answering point). If Netstumbler can add a feature to convince the wireless router to disgourge the required info, the maps might be more useful. It would be interesting to impliment this technology into common access points as part of the DHCP server, and supply AP location information without a GPS or sniffing.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.