Fanboi's lament – falling out of love with the iPad

Newtonian affair grows cold By Rik Myslewski in San Francisco

As the iPad goes on sale in the UK (and eight other countries), I've had my own "magical and revolutionary" Apple tablet for exactly 56 days. And I'm using it less and less each day.

My fading relationship with my iPad reminds me of a long-ago college fling with a young lovely. High anticipation, fervent consummation, growing familiarization, decreasing fascination, and the inevitable: "No, hon, it's not you. It's me."

Which is the line you use even when you're pretty damn sure that it is indeed her.

Full disclosure: I write this as a fervent fanboi who has used Macs since literally the first day that the original Macintosh 128k became available in 1984. I've partnered with and enjoyed PowerBooks, Quadras, Performas, iMacs, Power Macs, MacBooks, Mac Pros, and iPhones ? even a Newton.

But of all of those Apple products, it's my whirlwind affair with the Newton that most reminds me of my first 56 days with my iPad.

With the Newton, as with the iPad, I eagerly anticipated its release, and bagged one as soon as I could. I took it on business trips for note-taking and email, had no problems with its much-maligned handwriting recognition, and even played the occasional game on it.

But after the first blush of novelty wore off, the Newton's flaws asserted themselves: small display, unpocketable bulk, non-standard file system, and so on. I found myself spending less and less time with it, and soon returned to my previous partner, my trusty PowerBook 170.

So it has been with the iPad. ...

MORE: :

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

It's amazing that people feel a need to hate an inanimate object. Yeah, Navas, I'm talking about you and those like you (see Gizmodo for good examples).

I don't have an iPad, and I don't think I want one. But I don't hate it any more than I hate any other things I don't feel a need for. More importantly, I don't feel the burning need to spend energy actively hating it and telling people how much I hate it and how bad it must be.

What drives that behavior of yours, Navas?

Oh, I know--mental instability.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

So, where do modems fit into all of this?

I mean, other than being part of a world which is dead and buried...

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.