European: WiFi in US

Hi WiFires,

Sorry, I'm from Europe. Next summer I will travel through the US and Canada for six weeks, and I would like to have access to the Internet every now and then. (routeplanner, geocaching, lodging, e-mail) Of course Internet Cafes are abundant, but WiFi seems attractive too.

However, I'm a total newbie on the WiFi-front. What should I have/do/order before I am online in any shopping mall, Campground, and restaurant (not during dinner of course)?

Since my wife would not approve of me taking my notebook, are there any suggestions on carrying a PDA or a CellPhone with WiFi.

I would appreciate any information, and maybe someone could suggest a general FAQ-file or a nice newbie-website. In spite of some Googling, I haven't found it yet.

Thanks and regards,

Carlo

Reply to
Quintsys
Loading thread data ...

No real difficulty. Just do not select channels 12 and 13. The US allows the use of higher power, but that is not really useful for what you need. You may find (it depends on your driver) that you can change the county rules for your card and then it will do the US rules for you. Not all drivers provide this, but when it is present it seems to be on the advanced settings page.

David _________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 140,000 groups Unlimited download

formatting link
to open account

Reply to
David Goodenough

Oh dear. Another failure to check compatiblity of Wife 1.0 with the IT department prior to full deployment! :)

formatting link

Reply to
David Taylor

Thanks David,

I do not fully grasp what you tell me...but I will print it out and check at the store where I will buy the gear (whatever that will be).

Carlo

Reply to
Quintsys

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.