dropped connections

The intel pro3945 wireless in my acer notebook keeps dropping connection after a few minutes. This happens with or without WEP. Signal strength is very good according to the taskbar icon. A friend's toshiba has no problem at all.

The router is a dlink 614+

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, B.

Reply to
bobby9ez
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com hath wroth:

The router is a Dlink DI-614+. Thou shalt not abrev or trunc.

It's possibly power management. See:

formatting link
I also suggest using the latest Proset utilities and drivers instead of Windoze Wireless Zero Config.
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the reply Jeff.

In the 3945 wireless configuration, I set the Power Management to Maximum performance and Transmit Power to Maximum coverage. On the Power Management tab, I disabled the setting "Allow computer to turn off device to save power"

After reboot, it works ok ...for a few minutes, then the connection was lost :(

Help !

Reply to
bobby9ez

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com hath wroth:

Ok, so you're using Proset instead of Windoze Wireless Zero Config. Did you download and install the latest version per above URL? Or are you using whatever came with your unspecified model Acer notebook?

Are you using no-encryption, WEP, WPA-PSK? Do your testing with no-encryption, for now, to eliminate the re-keying interval as a possible culprit.

How many minutes are a "few"? If it happens to concide with the re-keying interval for WPA, you found the problem.

Proset has some diagnostics and logging output somewhere. See if there are any clues there. Also check the Windoze Event Viewer: Control Panel -> Adminstrative Tools -> Event Viewer for any wireless related error messages or warnings.

Try to supply some NUMBERS instead of obfuscations. It helps.

I don't know exactly what's happening but it seems to revolve around the Acer notebook, especially since your friend's Toshiblah worked normally. However, it would be interesting if you dragged your Acer to a hot spot or other wireless router and see if the problem moves with the notebook.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I have the exact same problem

The wireless router (SMC7004) works if a laptop (Toshiba M70) is connected to it through a wire, but it doesnt connect laptops for more then a few seconds through the wireless network

I use Wireless Zero Config.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Celine

On 28 Oct 2006 09:21:59 -0700, "Celine" wrote in :

See Jeff's post earlier in this thread.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.