Does a wireless mouse impact on WiFi?

I just got a laptop, and it's pretty clear that the touchpad isn't gonna work for me. I see a number of wireless mice for sale, but it appears most, perhaps all, are 2.4 GHz devices. But so far I've been unable to determine exactly what frequency they use so i could compare that to the WiFi channels.

Does a wireless mouse have any impact on the regular WiFi performance of the computer? I mean, is interference a common problem, or very rare if ever.

Reply to
Peabody
Loading thread data ...

I doubt there would be any problems. On this computer theres a wireless router, cordless phone for skype, 2 other cordless phones contacted to the phone line.

Plus wireless keyboard / mouse, mobile, and microwave all giving off signals and never have any problems.

Oh and a ipod transmissor for FM radio.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

There is no comparison. The wireless mice and keyboards are infra-red, the router is high frequency, quite a different system. I have all kinds of 'wireless' stuff, mice etc and a home hub connecting them all with no problems whatsoever, so go ahead and good luck to you.

Reply to
Quilljar

Incorrect. While "some" mice and keyboards *might* use IR, a great many use RF. Mainly because IR is horribly unreliable for most real-world setups.

If you're concerned, ask the vendor of the devices for the frequencies used. That and lookup the FCC ID of each device on the FCC.GOV website.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

mine doesn't.

73, rich, n9dko
Reply to
Rich

how does one hook up a "land phone" to the computer? [to use Skype]

maybe one of the the old empty "dial up internet" holes? [line-in or line-out]

i'm currently using a microphone, and i'm told my voice is poor at the other end

thanks waterboy

Reply to
waterboy

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 11:47:54 -0600, Peabody wrote: : I just got a laptop, and it's pretty clear that the touchpad isn't : gonna work for me. I see a number of wireless mice for sale, but it : appears most, perhaps all, are 2.4 GHz devices. But so far I've : been unable to determine exactly what frequency they use so i could : compare that to the WiFi channels. : : Does a wireless mouse have any impact on the regular WiFi : performance of the computer? I mean, is interference a common : problem, or very rare if ever.

A touchpad takes some getting used to, but I found it to be worth the effort. When you're balancing the computer on your lap, a touchpad is much more convenient than an external device, including any form of mouse.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Coe

To the OP: I have a wireless mouse and keyboard (logitech) and no interference w/ the WiFi.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.