looking for wireless packet system on _non_ 802.11 freqs

Situation: using a computer in front of an audience, many of whom are carrying/using 802.11 computers or phones.

The problem is that this saturates and overloads the wireless network, making it just about impossible for the lecturer to get decent access.

I've tried putting the presneter on a passord protected "channel 1" circuit, and moved the public one to 11, but there's still enough interference to be troublesome.

We can't (easily) use wires, nor powerlines.

So... I was thinking of getting a pair of transceivers, one at the computer desk, the other at a router, which are on a different frequency all together. If low power (and on the right frequencies) they should be ok without an FCC license.

So I was looking around and couldn't really find anything that looked promising.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
danny burstein
Loading thread data ...

If the idea is to get away from the 2.4GHz band, what about 802.11a on the 5GHz band, or perhaps go down to 900 Mhz? Neither of those require an FCC license.

Reply to
Char Jackson

You're obviously using 2.4GHz 802.11b/g. It's a rather crowded band. I did a site survey at a customers house the overlooks the city. My sniffer showed about 70 wireless systems.

Look into getting a 5.7GHz 802.11a system. You have 12 non-overlapping channels to choose from and minimal appliance interference (microwave ovens, TV security cameras, TIVO, etc). You will hear some cordless phones, but they tend to stay at the bottom of the band.

If you want to be totally evil, find some older frequency hopping spread spectrum 802.11 gear (i.e. Breezecom, Raylink, old Symbol, etc). When confronted with interefernce, these just slow down, unlike

802.11b/g which grinds to a halt. The catch is that you won't go very fast. Maybe 3Mbits/sec at best.

Rather than a 2nd access point and client radio, it's much easier to get a dual band 802.11a/b/g 2.4/5.7GHz access point or wireless routers.

There is also some equipment on 900MHz but it's not very common.

and also has interference problems.

If you wait long enough, the FCC will eventually release "white space" rules, so that chip manufacturers can produce chipsets, and manufacturers can produce products. These will work in the unused areas between TV channels.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.