Disabling secutiry on Airport

Airport Admin Utility for Windoze.

formatting link
will "find" your Airports MAC address, temporarily assign an IP address if DHCP is off, and allow you to reset it.

Instructions for doing a hard reset if you forgot the password:

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I just got in an (original) Airport which I am testing to see if it gives any greater output than my Buffalo or Netgear or Dell WiFi transmitters (is it OK to use that simple term in the 21st Century?).

I have the cable modem linking in to the Netgear WiFi unit but a hard wire going out of that into the Airport next to it and wanted to test both next to each other, presumably on different channels to see which of them will go most effectively through my walls to the various devices in my apartment.

Unfortunately somehow the Airport has got security enabled on it directly when it is connected. I can see the netgear, the airport and a few neighbour's WiFi networks in SCAN WIRELESS.

Is there a standard way of resetting the Airport to defaults or entering something on the screen such as 192.168.11.1 (and if so, can I get the IP address of the airport without knowing the security code?)

(I can do a scan on this network situation with either a PC or a Mac)

Reply to
news.rcn.com

It's not a "driver". It's an "admin utility" which is used to setup an Airport using a Windoze computah instead of an Apple computah.

If this is unacceptable, try one of the other Windoze Airport setup utilites:

formatting link
they were scribbled for the original Airport Basestation.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"Jeff Liebermann" > Airport Admin Utility for Windoze.

Any idea what I can do if this driver specifically says that it doesn't work with the original Graphite airport (whose software and description says that everything on it including resetting it should work with Windows)?

Reply to
news.rcn.com

Put another way, am I banging my head against abrick wall if Apple dont want me to use this unit with Windows and have deleted the Windows driver from their site if this is the case?

I also have a slightly later Netgear WiFi router (transmitter) and a new

802.11G Buffalo one neither of which will go through the two thin walls in my flat 25 feet to my NIC cards (which pick up signals from neighbours networks up to hundreds of feet and numerous walls/floors away)
Reply to
news.rcn.com

Many thanks: I will try Freebase although for some reason, the problem I am having is that a factory hard reset won't get rid of the password which also seems to be stopping all other software from getting into the set up of the airport or using any "admin utility" to query or set up the Airport

Reply to
news.rcn.com

OK I know when I am beat so I have connected the Airport to a G4 with a crossover cable and wanted to try to install the whole admin utility from the Mac running Panther. Is there a file I can download to the G4 for the original graphite Airport which I can then install onto that Airport which might cure (meaning overwrite) the password which STILL seems to be on the Airport? In order to press the reset button with a crossover cable connected and reinstall the admin utility, do I need to have the G4 configured to any particular IP address or DNS (as set out on 58613)? (or, he asked quietly, is all this done at OS level in Panther itself without downloads? And if so, how?)

One other point, The reason I am asking this is that I am actually using my Netgear WiFi router to connect my PC and G4 to the internet. Should I be able to pick up a signal from the airport when the airport isn't actually connected to the Internet? At the moment all I want to do is to reset it and reinstall the software on it. (The G4 is nowhere near my Cable Modem).

Reply to
news.rcn.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.