Cracking WEP with Ubuntu (or use WPA2 now!)

Anyone that still allows WEP-based authentication/encryption might want to read this and then get with the program and disable WEP and enable WPA2 or something a bit more modern. This is a blog entry from some guy that was new to ubuntu and knew little about it, yet managed to set up and use a cracking tool with only two days futzing around. This should be a wake up call for anyone still using WEP.

formatting link

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
Loading thread data ...

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 08:55:52 -0700, "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" wrote in :

formatting link
I'm surprised it took him that long. I recently saw a teenager with no special skills do it in less than 2 hours from a cold start.

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas hath wroth:

formatting link

The first time I tried to install DD-WRT, I turned the router into a brick. The problem was that one couldn't go directly from Satori to DD-WRT. It took about an hour to de-brick the router and restore the original Linksys firmware. I then tried to install DD-WRT again and managed to partially corrupt the firmware by not waiting long enough after the web page said it was done. I eventually discovered that one has to wait about 3-5 minutes AFTER the "continue" message appears to be sure that everything is correctly flashed. I was able to de-brick it with tftp this time. I've also discovered that it is sometimes necessary to power cycle the WRT54G after a flash update.

Since then, I repeated the exercise by installing the wrong firmware flavor which was easily fixed by tftp again. I've also experienced general weirdness when I forgot to reset everything to defaults after going from Linksys firmware to DD-WRT. I think this is now automatic. Anyway, it's quite as simple as the article suggests.

At this time, I could do the entire process in about 10 minutes which is one of the benefits of Learn By Destroying(tm).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

formatting link
>

Oops. This is what happens when I try to write more than one message at a time and accidentally end up commenting about the wrong URL in the wrong message. Just ignore what I wrote.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I think this must be the sort of thing that another thread commentator was referring to when he didn't much want to do the DD-WRT bit to his gear.

I can't say I blame him...

At this time, I can't say I've destroyed the gear I'm trying to make perform, but it's tempting!

Of course, I wouldn't have learned anything other than that they didn't work...

L8R

Skip

Reply to
Skip - Working on the boat

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.