Access point fails with WEP

Hi all,

I have a Netgear WAG102 AP. It's in the middle of a big (circa 6500sqm) exhibition centre. The floor is a structure of square metal slabs, and the AP is underneath. There are a few pillars around, but the signal is excellent all over, even at the perimeter.

However, as soon as I switch on WEP, my client can't associate. This happens on my laptop in both Linux and Windows, and it's known to work with WEP with other access points.

I *can* still see the WAP in kismet.

Just wondering if anyone can throw me a clue.

Thanks,

Antony

Reply to
Antony Gelberg
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

The usual problem is wrong key format, ASCII versus hex.

Reply to
John Navas

Don't think so. I'm sure I set 128-bit and 26 characters. But I'll try again in the morning.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

Try entering both keys in hex.

Reply to
John Navas

Hi, I have been running around helping freinds setting up wi-fi AP and WDS (wireless repeaters) and try securing them.

I find more times that they use the wrong format for the WEP keys, to use Hexadecimal characters you can only use (the numbers 0-9 and letters a-f) unless your documentation tells you otherwise.

And must be correct number of characters be it numbers or letter.

This method requires you to enter a 10 character Hexadecimal key for 64 bit WEP, and a 26 character Hexadecimal key for 128 bit WEP

check out this web site for help.

formatting link

Reply to
phil02135

Ok. I didn't strictly do this. I entered a passphrase on the WAP which generated a 26-character hex key. Is this different from entering that

26-character key directly?
Reply to
Antony Gelberg

Hard to say. Just try exactly what I wrote.

Reply to
John Navas

That's fine, you did enter the same hex key on the cient didn't you?

You didn't actually state that you entered the key at both ends!

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.