Continuous intermittent internet dropouts with WLAN

Hi there,

I have been experiencing continuous performance problems with a WLAN connection (under both WinXP(SP2) and Win2K, two different wireless WLAN adaptors, Netgear router). It seems as though the connection intermittently drops out, once every minute or so. I have to repeatedly click internet links to get things moving again, and things like on-line games, streaming video etc. just freeze.

However, the signal strength reported by Windows is always 'Excellent', even when this occurs. The connection is on Channel 1, and is far stronger than the two neighbouring WLAN signals (which are on Channels

6 and 11). The connection settings are: Authentification: Open, WEP, IEEE 802.1X deactivated (doesn't seem to work with this router)

I have tried deactivating all firewalls, deactivating the Wireless Configuration service, tweaking/resetting internet preferences (following MSN tech notes and other newsgroup posts), different browsers, installing various utilities (internet accelerators with more reliable timeout settings, software to regularly ping the ISP) - nothng solves the problem.

I have not yet upgraded the router firmware (although it is all new stuff anyway), as I share the connection with my flatmate, who is a bit paranoid and *seems to be* having less problems with his Mac on the same network - so I don't want to do this unless someone advises me that this sounds like the main suspect.

Any advice on how to tackle this would be greatly appreciated. For a novice like myself, it is a bit daunting to consider that the problem could arise from Windows, the router hardware/settings, interference, or the ISP!

Please let me know if addtional system details are required - although I suspect that the problem is more a generic one...

As a basic question: Is it possible to be having intermittent interference problems even if the Windows signal level is always at

100%?

Kind regards.

Reply to
Desperate Househusband
Loading thread data ...

On 4 Nov 2006 08:26:34 -0800, "Desperate Househusband" wrote in :

Probable interference. See wikis below for info and causes and fixes.

Not necessarily meaningful.

Lots of other possible sources of interference.

Not the main suspect, but strongly advised.

Yes.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.