Can't authenticate in South Korea

Hi,

I setup my router and it is working beautifully. The problem is that, with the ISP I'm using in Korea, I'm expected to log in with supplied credentials on a webpage before I can start surfing. When I hook up a computer for the first time and browse to

formatting link
i get redirected to their login page where I then authenticate and then am able to browse. But when I hook my router up, I can't enter those credentials on the webpage the router is being directed to.

It is a cable line, and name servers and the gateway are being registered when I use DHCP.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to
hardieca
Loading thread data ...

There seem to be two different kinds of cable authentication in the US. They both capture the MAC address of the device that is authorized to connect. On the more popular type, there is no manual registration. If you turn the cable modem and your router off for about 10 minutes, then turn on the modem, let it sync, and then turn on the router and let it sync, it may be authorized.

On the other type, manual authentication is required. Typically, this is performed by opening a browser to a captive portal web page from the primary PC, hooked directly to the cable modem. Any web page opened is redirected to the registration page (just like at many WiFi hotspots).

Later, when you connect your router, the MAC isn't the same, and the router has no way to present the redirected page to your PC on the other side of the router. You could call the cable ISP and tell them you want to connect a router. They will ask for the MAC of the WAN side of the router, and register it.

Or you could access the registration page through the router, if you know the address. Some cable techs know the address, so that they can do the initial registration with a router in place. I made note of the IP address the tech used, but I see that the name is available with a Google search of mediacom registration url. Maybe you could find yours.

Or you could "clone" the MAC address of the PC that is already registered with the cable company into the router. You didn't say what router you have. Some have a place to manually enter the MAC address that you want to present, some will read the MAC address of the PC you are using and offer to use that.

Reply to
dold

Thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated. I don't speak Korean, so I'll see if I can figure out the third option.

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
hardieca

I wouldn't think that should be too much of a problem, as long as the router has a non-Korean equivalent. You should be able to stare and compare between the options that you have and an English User Guide. You could even try the Google Toolbar Translator, which gives sporadic results translating the javascript-driven pages on my Netgear router.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.