ICS No go :-(

I think the answer is that you are using a router and ICS doesn't work, nor should you want to use it, with a router. Let the router do the DHCP. Set both machines to get their IP address automagically via DHCP from the router. Uninstall ICS. Now the router should be your gateway (192.168.1.1 or whatever the Belkin default subnet is) and the machines will be whatever the Belkin assigns them on the same subnet. They will both have Internet access.

If you want to share files between the two machines, make sure you have an account with a password on the ME box (even if you use TweakUI to automatically log in) and that you create the same account and password on the Win2k box. Use Client for Microsoft Networks on the ME box. You don't need NetBEUI, only TCP/IP.

Malke

Reply to
Malke
Loading thread data ...

Quite possibly you're right, but why would he do that if he has a router? If it is the normal dsl wired/wireless router, why not use it as such? Perhaps it isn't a real router? I'm not familiar with that particular Belkin modem/router combo, but the ones I've seen (2Wire modem/routers used in this area by SBC for their home networking setup with their DSL, including the wireless segment) work as regular routers and ICS isn't used.

It will be interesting to see more information from the OP.

Cheers,

Malke

Reply to
Malke

Well, there are such things as a "LAN Modem". I use them for customers that don't have broadband or to provide a backup for the main pipe to the internet. A good example is the 3Com 3C886A:

formatting link
It has a built in router, so there's no need for the Belkin router except to do wireless. Turning the Belkin into an access point will work. About $40-$80 on eBay.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

In that case, you would need to use 192.168.2.x for all the systems to be served by the router. Keep them all on the same subnet.

Reply to
Jay Somerset

Host = Desktop ME Client = Laptop 2000 Router = Belkin ADSL Modem with built in wireless router (Not using modem) Configuration = Desktop connected to Belkin via Ethernet 802.11b, Laptop connected to Belkin via D-Link wireless on 802.11g.

Belkin can see both machines, machines can both see each other and ping, swap files etc.

Desktop can dial up internet, Laptop can dial up on own dialup connection, but CAN'T share ME's connection. I don't want ME to share 2000, rather 2000 to share ME

I tried installing Microsoft ICS, on the ME machine, went through ok and icon appeared down the bottom as normal, but showed only one computer connected. (the configuration disk it offers to make does not support 2000)

2000 machine has client for Microsoft, file and print sharing, net beui and tcp/ip enable on the wireless card. TCP/IP is set to auto IP & DNS

I think it might be in the protocols somewhere, but I'm just getting confused mucking around with them.

TAI for any help

Reply to
Southern Kiwi

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:54:03 -0800, Malke had this to say:

I think you might be missing the point that he is only using the router to route to the wireless network (or, essentially as an AP), NOT as a jetstream router etc. The internet comes in through the ME box, and (rightly) needs to be distributed from their via ICS, rather than from the router.

OP: Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply to
Gurble

The OP stated that he's using dial-up *NOT* ADSL so he doesn't have any option to use the Belkin router for internet sharing.

Reply to
EMB

Can you temporarily reconfigure your network so that the laptop and desktop computers are connected to the same physical hub/switch? If the ICS works then you know it's a network related problem with your setup. If the ICS still doesn't work then it is probably a fault with the Windows ME computer - are you using any sort of personal firewall on either machine?

My gut feeling is that because you say the two computers have good connectivity between them, the problem probably lies with the ME machine.

Malke wrote:

Reply to
stuartm

Maybe he's on dialup? Even without using the ADSL port on te router, he's getting a heap of functionality (wireless for one, DHCP server also)

Reply to
-=rjh=-

Thanks to all that have replied with suggestions to my problem................... I only have dial up access, I am using the ADSL modem/wireless router in an effort to get rid of the cables (crossover). I think I have narrowed the problem down to the router assigning IP's which screws up ICS. When I have the router doing DHCP I can access my 2 pc LAN with no problems, except ICS. When I turn off DHCP in the router I lose all LAN connectivity. I am currently playing around with router settings in an effort to let me assign 192.168.0.1 to the ME machine. I've done this but have yet to configure the other bits to get my LAN communicating again. Cheers Southern Kiwi

Reply to
Southern Kiwi

formatting link

I already have the Belkin so would prefer to use that. Cheers Southern Kiwi

Reply to
Southern Kiwi

Thanks for the reply Stuart I have successfully had ICS up and running while using an Ethernet & crossover, I have disabled firewall and virus scanner while trying to set this up. I *think* it is because ICS wants the 192.168.0.1 IP and the router was not letting it have it

Reply to
Southern Kiwi

You're right, I tried the suggestion you gave me earlier, but lost all connectivity (I suspect due to IP issues) still working on it! A question...If I set the router to the default 192.168.2.1, can I set the ME gateway machine on 192.168.0.1 ? (I'm thinking the IP might be out of the range) Cheers Paul

Reply to
Southern Kiwi

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:42:44 -0800, Malke had this to say:

He's in NZ, and here we use PPPoA for DSL, meaning that you need a special router/modem to access it. In his case, it appears that his router does not support PPPoA, meaning that he can only really use it as an AP/Router to the WLAN, rather than as a router to DSL.

(Also, could you please leave nz.comp in the followups, as otherwise I can't see anything anyone says when replying to you).

Reply to
Gurble

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:42:02 +1300, "Southern Kiwi" had this to say:

Hi, Paul.

The router needs to be on the same (sub)net as the rest of the network, so it really needs to be 192.168.0.x.

Reply to
Gurble

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:16:27 +1300, "Southern Kiwi" had this to say:

Was this problem ever solved?

If so, could the OP please pop in a post with how they solved it, to assist others googling the same problem in the future. Cheers.

Reply to
Gurble

connection,

Yes, was solved and I posted a solution under one of the threads, here tis again..

The main issue was the router was assigning IP's, the host machine required a specific (which was not the one the router wanted to supply)IP in order to use Microsoft's ICS. When I set the router not to assign IP's I ran into problems with network connectivity. The interim solution was to let the router act as the DNS and use a 3rd party sharing program. This worked but caused me concerns as it screwed with my firewall and had the potential to let a lot of gremlins through via the host or client (which are trusted). I an currently in the process of switching to ADSL and sharing the router rather than through a host, which will basically leave my firewall and virus settings independent on each machine.

Reply to
Southern Kiwi

AS posted before ICS does require 192.168.0.1. If a router is using this address or handing out addresses in this range, then ICS will most likely run into duplicate IP in the network.

The solution is to change the router configuration to use another range.

Also check that no software firewall is blocking communication between these ranges on your computer. For ICS to work properly ZA should be set to medium.

Also, if you can't or don't know how to configure your router or network, use a solution like NAT32 for the routing, which is more flexible than ICS because you can configure any range on that software.

Reply to
Mauricio Freitas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.