buddy system

As far as having concurrent access to an access point, probably not. Hotspots are designed to prevent this.

While I haven't done this myself, it is probably possible to configure ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) in Microsoft Windows so that other laptops can connect. You'll have to connect to an access point through a separate laptop network connection. Your laptop then behaves like a router and issues IP addresses via dhcp (I believe). Others that are more familiar with ICS will probably add more.

Here's are a couple of ideas to experiment with - no laptop involved but it accomplishes the same. Connect to the hotspot using a bridge like the Linksys WET-11, then unplug the WET11 from the PC and plug it into the WAN port on an access point. You may be able to just plug the WET11 into the WAN port and then connect to the hotspot. The WET11 connection setup can be tricky.

cjtwantstoknow

Reply to
cjtwantstoknow
Loading thread data ...

can friends connect through one laptop from several laptops? For instance; cost for wi-fi access is $5 an hour, can five people go through one laptop and share the cost?

Reply to
Donald Duquet

Why sure enough. Setup a gateway app, add a second wireless card and schwach! It may take a bit O hackin but you should be able to get it to work Only downside is that whoever has the two wireless cards will need to be the gateway. So it would look like this,

INTERNET---ROUTER-----SWITCH----AP::::::Your laptop via WlessNic1 192.168.1.whatever 255.255.255.whatever ============== GATEWAY APP ============== wlessnic2 172.16.0.1 255.255.255.0 Buddy1 172.16.0.2 255.255.255.0 Buddy2 172.16.0.3 255.255.255.0 Buddy3 172.16.0.4 255.255.255.0

---- NOTE I do not condone using this to pirate dollars but do agree that the splitting of cost is cool. jwk

Reply to
secureeng

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.