AP and Client in the same time

Do you know if the WAP54G can be, in the same time, AP and Client of an AP?

I know the famous previously WAP11 could be AP, Client, but not the both in the same time.

Thanks for your answer :)

Simon

Reply to
Simon
Loading thread data ...

Not at the same time, but it can be a repeater, which might be what you are looking for. Note that it only supports repeating the signal from a WAP54G or WRT54G.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Thanks for your answer,

I need an AP and a client : in one network it's a free connection (without WEP), and I want to link my private network, but with a Wep key in minimum. I'm going to mount a linux box with a Wireless card (to be client of the free Network) linked by ethernet to an AP (linked to my private network)

Simon

Reply to
Simon

Yeah, that's pretty ugly, you'll need an AP in client mode, plus a firewall between your LAN and the free AP, and then a separate AP for your LAN.

Remember that even though your LAN is secure, others can still watch your traffic on the free side, and potentially harvest passwords, browsing details, and other information.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

To avoid that, could the two nets onto different subnets, and route between them. eg "free" wireless on 192.168.0.x, "private" on

192.168.10.x, with a firewall/router between the two. I reckon a retail router would work for the latter unit, with the AP plugged into its WAN port, the WAN port and AP manually configured to the 192.168.0.x range. You might need a DHCP server somewhere on the public side of the router. I refuse to try to draw this with ascii art... :-) Mark McIntyre
Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.