alternative wep configuration utilty?

winxp's wifi app disconnects after 30 seconds if wep is enabled. my linksys config utily doesn't have an option for wep. anyone know an alternative. linksys support refered me to boingo.com but that seems like it has spyware in it. anyone have a suggestion? i think its a prisum chipset.

Reply to
James
Loading thread data ...

I don't think Boingo has spyware. Why would you say that?

What Linksys card do you have? WEP has been available since the beginning.

Reply to
dold

its a WUSB v2.5. i read the spyware info on some web site err think it was downloads.com reviews or somthing, someone said it had spyware. . anyways shoudn't it work with at least linksys's util?

Reply to
James

in the linksys util i have three tabs. Link Info, Site servy, About. the site servy, when i click search, it shows my ssid. when i select the ssid from the list the Connect button is disabled. why is this button constatly disabled? the linksys tech support agent said i need to press that button to enter in the wep code.

Reply to
James

A WUSB what? There are 6 current Linksys WUSB... devices.

One reviewer on downloads.com says he had a virus after downloading Boingo. One other (maybe the same one) said it ruined his BIOS. Hmmm.

If nothing else, Boingo is a legitmate business. This isn't a false website propogating viruses.

At one point, I thought that Boingo software wouldn't let me connect to hotspots that weren't Boingo, but it's different from that.

They "partner" with various hotspot operators. They don't have a network of their own. So if I wander up to Joe's pizza, who offers WiFi from some WiFi provider who happens to be a Boingo partner, the Boingo software is going to try to automatically log in there, using my Boingo account, which I don't have. I think you can get around that by creating a specific profile for that hotspot, but it's not obvious.

It does allow various WEP keys for different SSIDs and it allows setting static IP addresses for some SSIDs, with DHCP for others, which is what I wanted.

But it takes up 28MB of RAM, and I don't need it most of the time. I just use WinXP built-in tools. I start Boingo when I need it.

Reply to
dold

Reply to
James

Rewind, start over.

My guess(tm) is what is happening is that you're inscribing the wrong WEP key into the XP Wireless Zero Config abomination. XP will try every combination and permutation of 64/128bit (not 256bit) ASCII and Hex keys until it finds something. The problem is that it doesn't tell you that it fails. It will sit there with an initial connect message, followed by "acquiring IP address". The "acquiring IP address" is misleading as it hasn't negotiated the WEP at that point. Eventually, if the WEP key is wrong, it will time out with a "limited connectivity" message. Most people think that it failed to "get an IP address" or that something is wrong with DHCP. However, it's the WEP key.

The problem seems to be in the conversion from ASCII to hex. There are two algorithms in use. Linksys uses one and DLink the other. If you type in an ASCII key in the router config, try writing down or cut-n-paste the Hex key that it generates. Then, use that in the XP WZC key. I bypass the problem by simply using a Hex key, which requires no conversion, and which works every time.

Also, there's no spyware in Boingo. It works quite well and my mouse driver is bigger than the Boingo client. Bloatware is still in fashion.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

yeah i was copying and pasting the wep key. i tried them all. linksys tech support said since the adapter is old, it might be incompatiable with windows xp's zero wifi config service or sp2. i gave up. i tried another adapter i had. its a version wusb11 version 1. (it doesn't say a version really) and it works if i give it a static ip, dyamnic doesn't seem to work with it for some reason. anyways i spent too long with the 2.5 version trying to get it to work. the version 1 has all the tabs in the linksys util and thats the program i use with it. i coudn't get WZC to use version 1 adapter either. owell..

Reply to
James

I did that with an SMC7004WFW router. Worked fine with Win2000 clients, but would lose WiFi to WinXP clients within a couple of hours of connect. I took it to work and put it in a lab for some tests. It'll run Windows2000 clients for days. I connect a WinXP laptop to check on the tests, and if I forget to disconnect, it locks up in a couple of hours.

Netgear WGB511 802.11g Wireless Networking Kit WGR614v4 Router and WG511 CardBus card that I have. $74.99 - $35 = $39.99 for the pair. Today it's $69.99.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.