Alchemy V1.01 not working on 98SE

I get the error "cannot connect to driver" when running Alchemy. I am trying to update the channels/MAC address on an Orinoco Classic Gold clone (RoamAbout 802.11b PC CARD).

The driver that was copied from the Orinoco directory (wuluc48.vxd) is not listed as the driver in the Device Manager. (Windows copied several files from the 98SE CD after it copied over the Orinoco driver, and the Orinoco driver is loaded and is working.) Windows reports the driver is: c:\\windows\\system\\ndis.vxd c:\\windows\\system\\vmm32.vxd (ntkern.vxd) c:\\windows\\system\\wlluc48.sys (... six other files)

Alchemy gives an example of "wuluc48.vxd" at the driver prompt. I tried the .vxd files listed above, and wlluc48.sys, as well as wuluc48.vxd. Alchemy says it can't connect to any of them.

Any suggestions?

(This card already has 128 bit encryption - I'm not trying to convert an orinoco silver. I was searching for software to update the channels/MAC address, and Alchemy is the only one I found. Any other software that will do this? As for the MAC address, when I add/change the networkaddress entry in the registry, stop the card, remove and replace it, winipconfig reports the new MAC address (no rebooting/releasing DHCP required). I don't know if this is writing the new MAC to the card - I don't have software to pull that off the card to check it.)

Reply to
larry_a475
Loading thread data ...

What's the exact version? 1.01.29 is broken. 1.01.30 worked when I tried it on WinME. It should work on Win98SE.

formatting link
guess is that your version of the Orinoco drivers is the problem. It worked fine with the Orinoco drivers that came with WinME. I vaguely recall also sucessfully trying W2K. However, when I loaded the latest greatest from the Proxim web pile, it stopped working. I think the file names are the same, but may have changed.

Find an earlier version of the Orinoco driver.

"Update MAC"? You wouldn't perhaps be trying to circumvent some software license that is tied to the wireless card MAC address such as Karlnet?

Maybe you're trying to spoof the MAC address of an existing client in order to bypass MAC address filtering? If so, you're doing it the hard way. Windoze uses the MAC address in the registry, not from the card. You can pick any MAC address you want.

formatting link

It's not writing to the card. You can obtain the working MAC address from the Windoze properties of the Orinoco card. When you change it in the registry, you need to reboot in order to have it take effect. Starting and stopping the driver doesn't do the trick.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The link reports version 1.01 30 April 2004, the .exe reports 1.00 30 April 2003. The download does not include more details or a version history.

I'll try that. It seems the software won't work, though, as I get the same error from alchemy regardless of what driver I type in. I have to give it the full path or else run alchemy in the same directory or it says it can't find the driver. The notes on Win 98SE says there was a bug searching for the driver, so you have to manually enter it now. Assuming windows still reports: c:\\windows\\system\\ndis.vxd c:\\windows\\system\\vmm32.vxd (ntkern.vxd) c:\\windows\\system\\wlluc48.sys (... six other files) and not the .vxd file from Orinoco, what do I type in?

Privacy is an issue. They can't log or connect your activities if you are always someone new.

The original instructions I got said you had to reboot. I have since found instructions that say that is not necessary if the card supports hot inserting. Where else does windows report the MAC? I looked in the control panel -> network and in the device manager, and it's not there. Winipcfg and ipconfig both report the new MAC address after reinserting the card, and rebooting doesn't change this.

If the MAC is not the one in the card, can the site you are connecting to read the value in the card?

Reply to
larry_a475

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.