Access point trouble

Hi everyone,

I am new to the world of wireless networking -- I got my first laptop for graduation and it works fine. At a certain spot in my house, I can connect to a 'linksys' access point. For a month or two it worked great (it would disconnect a lot but it was still super fast and we have dial-up, haha), but now it's giving me a lot of trouble. It says that it is connected, but is horribly slow, like 20597 times slower than dial-up, even though it claims it's running at (12+ mpbs).

I don't know how to find out what kind of wireless thing is in my computer, but if anyone could help out that would be great!!

Thanks!!

Meghan

Reply to
makeawish1
Loading thread data ...

What you have in your computer is irrelevant, what you should do is get broadband installed and install a local access point or wireless router in your premises that will provide suitable coverage for your property.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Perhaps the owner of the Linksys wireless router has discovered that you're using his broadband connection and has throttled your connection to the point of uselessness? You really should get your own broadband connection and use the neighbors (unless you have their permission).

Another possible explanation for the slowdown is a virus, worm, spyware, or trojan horse. Excessive traffic generated by these programs will make your computah appear to run slow. Try running a virus scanner and a spyware scanner to be sure.

I'll assume your mystery computer is running Windoze XP. Download Belarc Advisor from:

formatting link
's an inventory control program and will tell you quite a bit about what you have inside your mystery computer. That includes the make and model which you seem to be mysteriously unaware. It also includes the details on all the hardware. You might want to print out the report as it's quite handy for insurance purposes if you lose your laptop.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.