Comcast modem trouble?

Surfboard died. Swapped it and they gave me a new RCA Thomson. Ran the registration for existing customers and i stopped at the last page. Different errors each time I tried. After sitting on the phone for an hour, Comcast says they could see modem, could ping it, I could ping yahoo, but could clear registration mode.

They told me to swap it again. Got another RCA Thomson and exactly the same problem happened.

So far, I haven't called again. Haven't had a spare hour at one time. Anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
Vey
Loading thread data ...

If it's a DCM315, it can't transfer data faster than about 5M, no matter what the cap is.

Don't try using the on-line registration. I've found it too buggy and picky. Call and make certain they have the correct HFC MAC address in their database.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

It's the 425.

How do you stop it from starting the registration process? When I tried to bypass it, it kept coming back to the same registration page and wouldn't let me use the web, although I could ping, trace and I'll bet use ftp. That has been true for the surfboard or the thomson modems on Comcast systems. Must be some trick I am missing.

Reply to
Vey

Change dns ip address.

Once the modem gets registered, you can power down modem and computer, wait a minute by your watch, powerup modem. That should get a good reset on the modem. Next dhcp lease sent to your system should have valid comcast dns ips.

Reply to
Bit Twister

To *any* legimate IP address of a DNS Server? I know of several public DNS Servers. Would one of those do? Or do I need to use a Comcast server?

Reply to
Vey

Any will do. You realy need to call and verify your modem is registered correctly. Power reboot modem/pc should get a correct DHCP lease with comcast dns values.

Reply to
Bit Twister

Okay. Before I waste time. This is is Windows. No router.

IP 192.168.1.X Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway what do i put here?

DNS 64.151.103.120

And this should do it?

Reply to
Vey

Never mind. I see the setting now. I'm going to try it and see what happens.

Reply to
Vey

Sorry, I run linux.

Bad news there then. As I misunderstand it, that 192.168 ip is what doze defaults to when it cannot figure out what to use.

I am wondering if your cable modem is a router and you are seeing a lease from it's router.

If you power cycled your computer as requested, you might click up a terminal and see what you have with the command ipconfig /all

I do not understand how you get a ISP registration screen without a gateway with that 192.168.1.X ip unless your cable modem has a built in router.

You might want to hunt down a manual for that cable modem and see if you can access cable modem's internal webpage.

Cannot hurt to try just setting it as the only dns value.

Reply to
Bit Twister

Make sure you don't have that configured for a static IP address.

192.168.x.x subnet is a private subnet (NAT only). Otherwise, you may have a 192.168.100.x IP address, which is supplied by the modem when a DHCP server is unavailable. Comcast home networking modem/gateway combos use 192.168.0.x subnet.

No, the self-configuration subnet is 169.254.x.x, which is what is typically used when a DHCP server is unavailable.

It sounds like your modem is not online, or you have a static IP address entered for some reason.

Reply to
Eric

Yes, if you can get DSL, dump Comcast for DSL. Although DSL is slower, things just plain work better. My patience with Comcast customer service ran out.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Blanket advice like that is not good. There's no way one access technology will always be better for everyone than another access technology.

Nonsense, of course.

I think you've allowed your personal frustration to cloud your judgment. :)

Reply to
Bill M.

DSL is definitely slower, but I'm guessing slightly more reliable since it's the phone company maintaining it - not enough for me to give up the speed of cable.

I agree - my uptime has been great since my last modem swap.

Reply to
$Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.