802.11: Works great for one minute, then stalls for one minute

Hi,

I have a problem which I've encountered on two different computers, on two different wireless 802.11b/g networks, so I suspect it might be a generic issue with 802.11 networks.

For example, I'd bring my laptop to school. It's a MacBook Pro, by the way. For like a minute or so, the network will work just fine, giving speeds of 1 MB/sec and more (seems to be limited by the remote host). The signal strength is 70%-80% in iStumbler. The following minute, however, everything stalls. No data transfer possible. Another minute later, everything works again.

Do some access points "cycle" the available channels or something like that, giving times to each client for a specific period of time?

-- Sune

Reply to
sunebeck
Loading thread data ...

On 7 May 2007 03:29:17 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in :

If it were, you'd see a blizzard of complaints. Since you don't, you've got a problem common to your computers and networks.

No. You'll need to do some troubleshooting to find out what's happening during the stalls. Can you ping the gateway? Can you access the wireless router Web interface? Are perhaps your fellow students overwhelming the network?

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.