2nd WAP with no access to 1st WAP

The guest account works as advertised, although the features are rather limited. There's no traffic management so guest account can monopolize the available bandwidth. There's also no cron based utility to turn off the guest account after hourse. Still, it's useful.

The Belkin N1 Vision F5D8232-4 wireless router

also has a guest account. See Page 58 of the user manual. It works a bit differently. The MyEssentials router uses the same SSID for both the normal and guest accounts, using different WPA phrases to distinguish between accounts. The N1 Vision users different SSID's each of which also have seperate encryption keys. The encryption type has to be the same as the normal SSID, so you can't run WPA on the normal SSID, and no encryption on the guest account.

With DD-WRT and other alternative firmware, it's possible to run a guest account by setting up seperate VLAN's for each account. However, it's far from simple or elegant:

I haven't tried it.

Probably the most sensible method would be to run one of the assorted "captive portal" apps on the router. Some of these offer multiple levels of access.

DD-WRT includes built in support for Sputnik, WiFiDog and Chilispot under: Services -> Hotspot

plus a firmware version for running a FON type hotspot:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 05:09:51 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

"Works as advertised" was at least as much a reference to security (isolation), which I'm hoping is something more robust than just a subnet mask. The problem is that many (most?) vendors don't bother with rigorous testing and certification of security (e.g., by ICSA) -- shame on us for not demanding that!

That's A Good Thing© :)

Thanks -- I'm adding a "guest account" section to the wiki.

Yep -- that's my main complaint with DD-WRT -- to be truly ready for prime time it desperately needs a configuration wizard. But of course that's dull and boring work that the human wizards (hackers) don't find terribly interesting or important. ;)

Yep, with a suitable warning and disclaimer.

What's also needed is throttling of the guest account as a standard feature -- which of these have that?

Reply to
John Navas

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:23:46 +0000 (UTC), DanS wrote in :

Nope.

Nope -- the "discussion" is over.

I won't waste more time of people with no manners.

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Fine.

Oh yeah....did you here.....WEP is insecure.

Ass.

Reply to
DanS

John Navas wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

(No manners here.)

Reply to
DanS

That fallacy in your argument (among your many errors) is your belief of there actually being any "finished", let alone "supported" firmware in commodity grade equipment.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.