Connect from a dial-up to an Netgear FVS318?

I'm trying to get a VPN connection established between laptop running WinXP using a dial-up connection and my VPN "host" which is a Netgear FVS318v3 router that is connected through a cable modem to Comcast.

On the client side (the laptop), I'm trying to connect using the VPN "Network Connections" in Windows (IOW, I'm not using any "VPN client software". After a failed connection attempt, the following error message appears: Error 792: The L2TP connection attempt failed because security negotiation timed out.

At the router, after a connection attempt, the VPN log contains the following messages (repeated 3 times - I assume once for each of three tries): (each of the lines is preceded by a date/time stamp)

[==== IKE PHASE 1(from 12.34.567.234) START (responder) ====] **** RECEIVED FIRST MESSAGE OF MAIN MODE **** PAYLOADS: SA,PROP,TRANS,TRANS,TRANS,TRANS,TRANS,VID,VID,VID,VID ERROR# NO MATCHING ISAKMP PROPOSAL FOR DIALUP CASE SENDING NOTIFY MSG: NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN **** SENT OUT INFORMATIONAL EXCHANGE MESSAGE **** POLICY: > PAYLOADS: NOTIFY

I am a complete newby at this and have no idea what to do. As a matter of reference, I've exchanged several e-mails with Netgear "tech support" which have been no help.

Can anyone here give me some guidance or maybe point me to some on-line instructions as to how to get this working?

Thanks

Reply to
Martin
Loading thread data ...

Hi, The manual

formatting link
has instructions for setting it up using the prosafe vpn client. Have you tried that ? simon

Reply to
Simon

No, not yet. I did purchase their client software yesterday but I won't get it for another day or so.

What I don't get is: why won't this work without having to use their client software?

I bought this router thinking that no client-side program would be needed. Nowhere, that I could find, in the product literature is the need for this spelled out. And, since it is needed, I would think that a copy would be included with the router.

I realize that these aren't issues that can be dealt with in a newsgroup - I'm just bitch'n and moaning. :(

Reply to
Martin

Yeah it's a pain. You need to look for routers that support terminating l2tp/ipsec or pptp client tunnels. The Drayteks certainly do. simon

Reply to
Simon

OK, I received the Netgear client software but am having no luck getting it to make a connection either.

There's an example in the user manual for making this "dial-up to VPN" connection but I can't get it to work.

Initially, I was getting a NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN error. It turns out that, in their example, they say to set the "Mode" to "Aggressive" on the router end and then they say to set the client side to "Main" mode. When I figured this out, I tried to set the router side to "Main" but apprently that is not allowed with a "pre-shared key". So, I set the client side to "Aggressive" and I don't get that error any more.

Now, I get an INVALID_ID_INFO error. I've been unable to figure out the cause of this. Can anybody give me some pointers? Maybe there's an on-line example somewhere that actually works?

BTW, I've been in touch with their "tech support" but have gotten no help whatsoever.

Thanks for any tips.

Reply to
Martin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.