Automatically assign DNS names to openVPN clients?

Hi everyone,

I've recently set up a little OpenVPN network, that allows all the clients that are connected to communicate with each other in a secure way. The VPN itself works perfectly fine.

Now I'd like all clients that connect to automatically get a DNS hostname as a subdomain of users.geek-net.de, according to the CN of the certificate they authenticated with. So, the user mistagee would get mistagee.users.geek-net.de.

Currently, I'm using a cron-job that runs a PHP script to achieve that. The PHP script parses the status.log file, generates DNS entries from it and writes these into PowerDNS's mysql database, which then answers questions. That works - but is there a better way to do it? :/

Kind regards, Michael

Reply to
Michael Ziegler
Loading thread data ...

I did not read very carefully, but you should look into no-ip.org

Reply to
Rick Merrill

That wouldn't work the way I want it to ;)

no-ip.org would allow people to get themselves a hostname, but I want the server to automagically assign the hostnames by itself...

Greetings, Michael

Reply to
Michael Ziegler

What you want is how no-ip.org got started. To do that you will have to become their competition!-)

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.