VoipJet / Win98SE / iaxComm / Firefly / Freshtel USB phone

I recently set up a VoIP account with VoipJet

formatting link
on my Win98SE box using iaxComm's softphone:

formatting link
I'm using Freshtel's FT102B USB phone
formatting link
It's speaker and microphone work quite well, but the keypad and display are inoperative with VoipJet.

During VoipJet's signup procedure I was given a page of account setup instructions which were written for a Linux user - no mention of Windows. These instructions included a username, 32 digit hex password, server address, and codec setup. Fortunately I didn't have too much trouble configuring my iaxComm dialer, except for the choice of codec. The setup instructions were US-centric, and therefore recommended that all codecs, except for G.711 ulaw, should be disallowed. This resulted in "raspy" audio. Selecting alaw (the correct codec for Australia) fixed this problem. Strangely, one of the account setup dialogue boxes asked for the location of an Asterix server (eg Oxford, UK), so I input Sydney, Australia. I would have thought that my personalised account setup instructions should have reflected this choice.

I like VoipJet's gift of US$0.25 free credit. I used it to call my own number (I'm on ADSL) and was able to test the connection in real time. Providers like Skype use a prerecorded announcement, followed by recording and playback of your own voice. Freshtel's test number just plays a prerecorded test message.

I tried setting up VoipJet with 3rd party Firefly software:

formatting link
Under Firefly, Freshtel's FT102B phone is fully functional, keypad and LCD included. Unfortunately, VoipJet accepts my username but rejects my password (the same pw as used with iaxComm). Does anyone have any idea why?

BTW, one annoyance I have with iaxComm is that the phone book and all user settings, including an unencrypted password, are stored in the registry.

Thanks for reading this far.

- Franc Zabkar

Reply to
Franc Zabkar
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:33:26 +1100, Franc Zabkar put finger to keyboard and composed:

Apparently the reason for the login failure is that the latest version of Firefly does not support md5 (encrypted) authorisation. Reports are that an earlier version (Firefly 1.5 build 3388) does not have this limitation.

- Franc Zabkar

Reply to
Franc Zabkar

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.