voip in Europe - ch, de, at numbers

How? In Germany is there a failsafe process for private companies to find out where people live?

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz
Loading thread data ...

Hello,

Anyone knows how to have a zurich, wien, or frankfurt voip number?

sipgate.at and .de don't offer numbers anymore, do you know other voip providers?

No iconnetchere please, 50% of calls are lost with them,

thanks

Reply to
brix

I know that Sipgate require that you register using a UK based IP address to get a UK geographic number, maybe it's the same in Germany..? If so, find someone in the area you want the number for to register an account using your name. If they do so from a computer with a "local" IP address it should work ok.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

We (in .de) have a RegTP regulation rule enforcing that a "geographic" phone number may only be given out to a resident of the corresponding area, hence people from Hamburg, Rio de Janeiro or Planet Mars cannot get a phone number in FFM (for example) ;-)

Cheers Robert

Reply to
Robert Spielmann

No, it's not. During the registration on sipgate.de, Sipgate verifies that your personal information (name, address) is correct.

Tor

Reply to
Tor-Einar Jarnbjo

Interesting. How do they do this..?

One of the points on the UK site specifically states that you do not need to live in the UK to get a UK number, all they require is the initial registration is done from a UK-based IP address.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Well, it depends, but for most people, it is possible to check if the information they provide is valid. There is a German company called SCHUFA, which was originally founded to provide credit evaluation and a vast majority of the people living in Germany are somehow present in their register. Since recently, they are also providing a simple "do this person exist" service, which is used by e.g. Sipgate and eBay to validate the registration data. I'm not sure how Sipgate is handling the case that the data could not be validated. eBay will send you a validation code by mail if SCHUFA is not able to verify your address.

Tor

Reply to
Tor-Einar Jarnbjo

In the last three weeks somebody here asked for VoIP provider in CH, then reported he's found one, do a search. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

In Germany (like in Finland) most financial transactions (paying your bills) are done by direct wire transfer (Überweisung). The receiver of the payment gets verified information of the name of the account holder.

In Finland most banking is done on-line over the Interent. Banks also provide a (free) on-line authentication service. You type in your banking PIN and codes on an authentication web page, the organization requiring authentication will receive your name an social security number.

(This prosess alone will not give your address though...)

Reply to
Petri Krohn

Look at

formatting link

Reply to
Dimitri

Only if you don't want a regional number. If you are not a resident then you can only get a 0845 or 0870 number.

I quote from sipgate.co.uk:

"Important: Customers who sign up with sipgate for "geographic phone numbers in the UK, must reside within the UK."

Reply to
david_ffm

From the same site (help pages):

::sipgate doesn't offer any numbers in my city. Can I still use sipgate?

::Yes, sipgate works worldwide. You needn't even live in the city ::or country your number is from. Anywhere you have a broadband ::Internet connection, you can use your sipgate account.

::For the 01 and 02 numbers (geographically based), you will need ::to do the initial registration from a British IP address.

Make of that what you will..!

Ivor

begin 666 trans.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
Ivor Jones

I don't know if this can help you... but you can have an US number and the possibility to call unlimited overseas for a very low monthly rate or even virtually ELIMINATE your long distance phone bill. And you don't need to be a US citizen!

I'm not an US Citizen and I was looking how to reduce my phone bill to call free my friends in Germany, and I found this Company. Now I'm so happy, I can call them as much as I want without worried about the phone bill!

This Company, which implements VoIP and WiFI technology, offers you the latest technology in communications and saves you money on domestic and international calls. The only thing you need is your broadband Internet connection and you're ready TO SAVE money! (you don't need a computer).

Please check out this opportunity for complete details at:

formatting link
or E-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com with any questions.

Best Wishes, Supreme Voip

Reply to
supreme voip

That'll be very handy for all those people who have broadband internet but no computer.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

Some people don't like leaving computers on all the time. You don't want your phone to stop working just because you've switched your computer off, do you..?

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

No, of course not, and I use an ATA for precisely that reason. I found the idea of not needing a computer at all to be incongruous though.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

If all you need is a "local" IP address, check this site for a list of proxies all over the world!

Most of them are free--just change your browser settings to route your Internet use through the foreigh proxy, and you're on.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeremy

In Germany, you also need a qualified proof that you live at the address you gave them during application. They automatically inquire the SCHUFA database about your name, address and date of birth.

(Information about SCHUFA in English as PDF:

formatting link
)

Alternatively, you can send in a copy of your identity card (which states your address and birthdate as well) or your last phone or gas bills. (Just like you would do it in the UK to open an online bank account.)

So, it is not that easy.

VoIPBuster.com offers a free number in Germany, though. (Cologne area code: +49-211, if you registered with a German address.) You have to use their client softare -- but calls to many destinations are free as long as you top up your account with ONE Euro. :-)

Cheers, F.K.

Reply to
Frans Keijer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.