US Robotics 005605 modem and VOIP

I have a US Robotics 005605 (aka Model 0525) 56k Voice Faxmodem. The last time I used it was several years ago with a Win 98 OS. Having converted to Win 2000 pro, I downloaded the USB firmware flash program for this model from the US Robotics support site.

formatting link
The problem is that I'm not sure what driver to use. There's a USB driver but I can't get a dialtone from my Sipora 2000 VOIP modem with it. The OS recognizes the modem. Is it possible that it doesn't recognize VOIP connections?

US Robotics tech support states the following:

"In Control Panel, double-click Modems and remove extra modem entries"

Does that also mean I should remove these options from the Advanced tab?

Microsoft H.323 TAPI Service Provider Microsoft Multicast Conference TAPI Service Provider NDIS Proxy TAPI Service Provider TAPI Kernel-Mode Service Provider Unimodem 5 Service Provider

I'm going to try using the serial cable now. If anyone has experience with VOIP and analog modems, please contribute!

Reply to
colin
Loading thread data ...

I think the Collin is trying to get his modem working over a VOIP connection, not a VOIP connection working over his dialup internet access.

Having said that, Voip over dialup can work, if you're using codecs that provide proper compression, but a 56K modem connection over VOIP is probably not going to work very well.

Collin, to do some basic trouble shooting on this problem, make sure you get dialtone with a POTS phone plugged into your Sipura ATA(it's not a modem) if you don't, there is trouble with your ATA.

If you do get dialtone, plug your USR modem into a regular POTS line.

If you don't get dialtone, your modem/drivers are screwed up.

If you do get dialtone, you have a physical connection problem between your modem and the ATA(cords, jacks etc.).

Randy

Reply to
Randy Mass

Thanks for the responses.

First of all, I don't have a problem getting a dial tone with my HP All- in One printer/scanner/fax unit, only the US Robotics External 005605 seems to have a problem with a dial tone. Perhaps it's a driver problem, since the OS does recognize that the modem is connected to a serial port when I have it connected with the serial cable, and in USB mode when it's connected to the USB port.

There's also the possibility that something must be re-configured within the Sipura 2000 setup - or the US Robotics modem may simply be broken, since the HP all-in-one received the dial tone upon initial power-on testing.

Faxing shouldn't be a problem if I reduce the baud rate with my software. The HP doesn't allow for that, though and that's why I'm trying to get the US Robotics external configured.

Perhaps it's time to just shell out $7 for one of these internal's:

formatting link

"Jeremy" wrote in news:Jksqe.723$fa3.689@trndny01:

Reply to
colin
  1. The Sipura 2000 is NOT a modem, its ATA (analog telephone adapter) which needs to be plugged into ethernet port of a router.

1. You wont be able to get VoIp working on a dial up 56k connection, it's not fast enough on the upload leg. I believe it's possible to set your modem for equal speed both ways in which case you may be able to use softphone (e.g. Xten Lite). Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

You won't get VoIP working with a dialup modem, there isn't enough bandwidth. VoIP requires a broadband connection.

Before you say Skype works with dialup yes it does but it uses a proprietary protocol and quality on dialup is crap.

BTW the Sipura 2000 is an ATA not a modem.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

I have had much better results by configuring my modem as a Class 2, rather than the default Class 1, when faxing on VoIP.

The Class 2 protocol does not spend nearly as much time "training" during each fax. It also hangs up faster after the fax has been transmitted. It also does not utilize error correction, and that saves time.

Class 1 also has the nasty habit of slowing down as multiple pages are transmitted. It might start out at 14,400 for the first page, then drop to

9600 on the second page, 7200 on the third page, and 4800 on all the subsequent pages. I have experienced much less of that when transmitting in Class 2 mode.

Not all modems support Class 2, but if yours does, by all means try it. You may find that it significantly reduces transmission time.

Reply to
Jeremy

*WRONG*. The Macintosh software "PGPphone" was doing this years ago. Human speech really doesn't need to bandwidth many people it requires. Several stupidities of most modern fancy-digital-phone-systems conspire to heavily degrade the signal, such as the use of automatic gain controls, trying too hard to keep the signal from clipping, trying to spend all your cycles processing and analyzing and digitally throbbing the prostate of the signal in order to try to get it to be more comprehensible by whatever cockeyed scheme your particular intern thought of, etc., etc.

If you throw out almost all the digital analysis and present just a few bits of signal, *at the zero crossings* instead of smoothed and merged and FFT'ed into powerbands and with all the speech timing thrown out, you actually get a quite intelligible signal.

Reply to
Nico Kadel-Garcia

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.