SIP settings for external usage.

Hello. We have a LAN connected to a WAN and we are using 7960 SIP Phones. For privacy purposes I want to protect our actual IP so I will refer to our addresses as W.Y.Y.n (n will be an actual number). These means we have network W.X.Y and n is the different IP addresses. As a matter of fact, when I refer to IP address n I actually will mean W.X.Y.n And we actually have netmask 255.255.255.248 which limits us to 7 addresses. The WAN shows IP address W.X.Y.142 with a peer of W.X.Z.254 (Z != Y) The LAN shows IP address of W.X.Y.137 This gives us

138-141 to use as IP addresses for the SIP phone, terminals, etc. As an experiment, I tried all the addresses from 138 to 141 with a terminal. I SSHed into the machine where our SIP proxy is, and did a who. No matter what the terminal address was, the who always showed us as coming from W.X.Y.142. So say, for instance, we make the SIP address 138. The invitation will come from 138, but the machine thinks it is 142, so SIP calls won't work. Any idea how to make the actual IP address match the viewed IP address?

Oh, the router in the sip phone is set to 42

Reply to
chamberlain.anthony
Loading thread data ...

Looks like you're using NAT. You should be using Cone NAT in your router. I prefer Port Restricted Cone NAT for this. The one thing you need to think about is an Application Layer Gateway. SIP has addressing deep in their headers such as the transport or SDP addressing and ports that may need to be considered.

Reply to
Someone

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.