SIP protocol - Independent of transport layer

Hi, I find that,SIP is designed to be independent of the underlying transport layer; it can run on Transmission Control Protocol (TCP), User Datagram Protocol (UDP), or Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP). Then, why is the SIP protocol referred as a " TCP/IP-based Application Layer protocol " ? Any ideas ?

Reference -

formatting link
Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru
Loading thread data ...

I think you're getting a bit confused between how a protocol gets information from point A to point B and what information the protocol gets from point A to point B. While SIP is designed to be independent of the underlying transport layer and could theoretically get information from point A to point B by some non-TCP/IP mechanism, what is the actual information it's getting from point A to point B? Look at typical SIP messages and you'll see they convey information *about* TCP/IP protocols, addresses, and ports.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

Thx for the response. I have another query related with SIP while using Audio or Video stream.

The voice and video stream communications in SIP applications are carried over another application protocol, the Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP). Parameters (port numbers, protocols, codecs) for these media streams are defined and negotiated using the Session Description Protocol (SDP) which is transported in the SIP packet body. And these parameters are used to determine the type of media(Audio/Video) and put in the corresponding queue/buffer in the user terminal rather than parsing the entire packet to determine the presence or absence of audio / video.

Is the above understanding correct ? Correct me if i am wrong.

Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru

You aren't asking these questions because you are looking for answers; you already know what the answers are. What is the *real* reason that you are asking these questions?

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse

I wanted to confirm my understanding so that the design can be visualized.

Thx, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.