Porting number from Viatalk?

Does anybody know whether I will be given a new number [like when I first signed up] if I port my existing number from Viatalk? I have a remaining balance of 14 months, but am considering moving to another provider. I want to know if my Viatalk service will be terminated automatically by the port or whether I will be given a different number.

It doesn't affect my decision whether to port either way, just whether I keep an ATA line open with Viatalk or not.

FWIW ... I originally ported my number into Viatalk; the number is not a Viatalk originated number, but rather, it was originated by QWest.

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Loading thread data ...

BTW ... I would ask Viatalk, but it takes months for them to get back to you when you post a ticket and I am not going to wait on hold forever to get the answer. So, I am just hoping that somebody here might have had this experience and could report back.

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse

In spite of the lack of replies, I thought it worth following up anyway. It doesn't appear I will be porting from Viatalk anytime soon. While I have had some issues with Viatalk, my success rate with other providers has been hit or miss. Concentric is rated highly and yet voice is very choppy (even using g.729a) during the Internet "happy hour". It seems they don't have enough servers and provisioning to set me up with the best route. So far, the same goes for Voicepulse. I have them for a month, and so far, they have completely taken over my ATA (PAP2T-NA), downgraded the firmware and left me with voice even worse than Callcentric duing the same time period. Late evening through this morning has been fine. Oddly, chosing a higher compression codec with Voicepulse resulting in WORSE quality, not better. The same adapter works well with Viatalk [and my manual provisioning].

So far, I guess I can deal with the occassional echo and odd probem with Viatalk [like the dial out problems they had last month or short outage].

Vonage worked well for me also, but lacked features and didn't have any better quality than Viatalk [other than they suffer fewer outages].

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.