call in one line out another

what sort oif equiptement is needed to call in one line, then be able to call out on another?

I am looking to cut my cell bill, call in network to a home based cell phone, access somehow a regular wired line, and gab forever.

ideally the system would recognize my caller ID from the incoming line. but its no biggie. with unlimited VOIP if someone stumbled onto it who cares.

Reply to
hallerb
Loading thread data ...

Something like this looks appropriate..

formatting link
Gateway it to an Asterisk box, setup a DISA type setup with password for calls from this gateway, and go out from there.

Otherwise, google for the keywords you see in this page. Most likely its going to only be GSM based (don't know what cell company you have, if they do GSM or not in-network) to be able to get the SIM that this device would need to talk on the Cell network.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

thanks but the link isnt good:(

Reply to
hallerb

Worked when I posted it, I can't help it if they crash their web server. :(

Google GSM VOIP gateway

formatting link

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Where are you planning to call that is cheaper from a wired line than from a cell phone? In the US, most cell plans offer flat rate to the whole country.

If you want to make international calls, for what you'd pay for even the simplest of hookups, you can buy a lifetime supply of cheap prepaid calling cards.

R's, John

Reply to
John L

my idea:)

call a home based cell phone, it will be in network so no airtime charge:)

then call out on a talk free VOIP or regular line.

my cell airtime could drop to near nothing:)

found out what I am looking for is a DISA direct inward service access, unfortunately all i have found are parts of large muulti thousdand buck phone systems......

Reply to
hallerb

What you want is known as a call extender, and you're unlikely to find one for cheap. Considering the enormous buckets of minutes you can get these days, you'll never save enough to pay for it.

What I have seen is setups that go the other way, calling out from a PBX through a cell phone. They make sense in countries where cell phones are caller pays but carriers have free or cheap on-network calls, to avoid paying the 30 cpm landline->mobile calls cost.

R's, John

Reply to
John L

You can do that on the cheap, but I'm not sure you really want to.

DISA on a an asterisk system can be done for free, but you have the added delay of two VOIP voip legs which tends to suck. Ipkall

formatting link
will give you free voip-based DISA. You can run the free asterisk server on a spare computer and have it answer that voip DISA call. Then you can dial out via a low-cost (say 2-cent per minute) VOIP-to-POTS service.

The question is, how much money you really saving? Bouncing between VOIP and POTS is a big lose. You end up with the worst of both systems (high delay from VOIP and crappy voice encoding from POTS.) Is the minimal savings really worth it?

If it were me I'd try harder to stay 100% POTS of 100% voip.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.