gov't regulation of VOiP

What gov't agencies regulate VOiP in the USA?

Reply to
Noname
Loading thread data ...

FCC as far as I know

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

I checked out the FCC website and they do not appear to regulate VOiP.

I also googled the subject and found an article that indicates there is no regulation.

Is there regulation of VOiP providers, and if so by what agency?

Reply to
Noname

There is not. (wiretap is a separate issue)

Do you think there should be regulation? Not enough competition?-)

Reply to
Rick Merrill

search for Vonage at the FCC WWWebsite, you'll see that the FCC is the one forcing them into some semblance of compliance with E911, for instance.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Ah yes, you're right. CallVantage has full E911 - if you power off your ATA you then get an automated call asking you to verify that your ATA has NOT moved!

Reply to
Rick Merrill

I have a problem with one of the VOiP service providers. The company will not acknowledge my account cancellation. They continue to bill my credit card. I have registered a dispute with the credit card company.

My intent was to find a government agency that could persuade the VOiP provider to acknowledge my cancellation.

As to government regulation, wiretapping ... my purpose is not to play the political game - I have my beliefs but that is separate from this problem.

Reply to
Noname

Uh, if your ATA is turned off then where does the call go?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

That should be all you need to do, your credit card company will reverse the charges if you dispute them in writing, and have done all the right things to cancel your account.

The FCC regulates the technical details of VOIP, not the financial (mis)dealings of the companies involved.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I'd imagine it calls you when you power it back up.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Ok, I had that same thing happen to me! Here is what I did: I called the NEW company and THEY created a conference call to the OLD company and between the three of us we straightened it out! This way there is a third party witness and we can assure one another that the facts are the facts. BEWARE! The old company might just cancel your NUMBER as well as your account! That is a really mean thing to have happen.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

eggzatally

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Voicemail..?

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Nope, all normal calls DO go to voicemail, but that call from ATT only goes to the real phone, whereever it may be! It's up to the user to certify that the ATA is in the location where they setup the emergency / 911 so that Expanded 911 works ok.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.